Please sign in to post.

Night Train from Berlin to Paris in December 2019

Looking for feedback on the experience of taking the current night train that goes from Moscow to Paris with a segment from Berlin. The once a week schedule works fine with our itinerary so we are eager to travel to Paris this way, but we would like to get a good night’s sleep. How comfortable are the cars? We are thinking a first class sleeper for two. Upgrade to VIP coach? Worth the extra expense? Any feedback would be appreciated. And we are committed to traveling by train and ferry as much as possible so no advice needed about cheap flights! Thank you very much.

Posted by
6883 posts

I don't have first hand experience, but in case you don't know it already, the Seat61 website is an excellent resource with lots of train photos and traveller accounts. It includes information on the RZhD sleeper from Paris to Moscow, so it should answer some of your questions.
But from my own Sleeper experience, en-suite toilets and showers in VIP sleepers are an unnecessary luxury that will not add to your sleep quality.
I would much rather spend that money arranging early check-in at your Paris accomodation - including, possibly, paying for an extra night of accomodation (for the night when you travel, basically). That way you'll have a room where you can refresh, and perhaps nap if the night was bad.

Posted by
14503 posts

I don't do the cheap flights either unless a specific circumstance warrants it.

There is another night route aside from this Mpscow to Paris route. The catch is you need to transfer in Offenburg.

Take the train Berlin to Offenburg, arr. after 0600, then the TGV to Paris Est at your leisure after breakfast.

If the night train is worth the extra expense in getting a sleeper...depends on you. I wouldn't do it, and I don't need the sleeper option, since I know I'll sleep on the night train anyway. No problems sleeping taking that night train option.

Posted by
3044 posts

We've done the night train from Brasov to Budapest and from Split to Zagreb. I find the idea of sleeping on the train romantic. We had some wine and snacks, and slept OK. On the Brasov -> Budapest, we did have the border crossing, which included 2 passport checks.

We did get the couchette for 2, and that's really worthwhile. I thought it was comfy. Never done the Moscow to Paris.

Posted by
52 posts

Super info everyone! Thank you all. We are going to reserve a sleeper for two on the night train and i will write about the experience! Can’t wait actually! Trains are our favorite form of transportation...well, except for ships maybe!