Please sign in to post.

New Burg Eltz Bus schedule for 2022

The walk to Eltz Castle from Moselkern is great, but it also deters some Burg Eltz visitors. Previously, access by public transport to Eltz from nearby Rhine and Mosel towns was possible only on weekends, and schedules were inconvenient. The #365 Regiobus, which connects to Hatzenport station on the Mosel Railway, now accommodates visitors every day - and far more generously. Note that a VRM ticket covers both the train to/from Hatzenport AND the #365 bus.

https://www.vrminfo.de/fileadmin/data/pdf/fahrplanbuecher/2022/365.pdf

To find train + bus travel schedules from St. Goar, Boppard, Cochem, or whatever base town you are using for the area, use the DB rail itinerary search page and "Burg Eltz, Wierschem" as a to/from station.

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Posted by
19092 posts

Russ, great catch.

According to the Bahn, the bus runs 2 times per hour (starting at 8:02) every day except Apr 15 & 18, May 26, and Jun 6 from Apr 1 until June 11. June 11 is the last day of the current 6 mo schedule for the Bahn, so it will probably continue all summer - it just hasn't been announced yet.

Unlike the previous bus, which started in Treis-Karden and ran along the river through Moselkern to Hatzenport before turning inland to Weirschem, this bus starts in Hatzenport and goes immediately inland, so the only place you can catch it on the train line running up the river from Koblenz is in Hatzenport. It looks like they have eliminated the bus from Treis-Karden to Hatzenport since you can do that trip with the train.

This post has been edited to add the following:

There are both RE (Regional Express) and RB (Regional Bahn, "milk
runs") between Koblenz and Cochem/Trier. Only the RB, which
leaves Koblenz at 25 minutes past each hour,) stops at Hatzenport or
Moselkern. Don't take the RE; it only stops at Treis-Karden.

For those who still want to hike to Burg Eltz, the RB also stops at Moselkern Bhf,
just a half km from the starting point of the hike to the castle.

Apr 15 & 18, May 26, and Jun 6 are holidays, respectively, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Ascension day, and Pentecost.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi,
I follow the VRM ticket link from the post and entered the departure and arrival station, I see different time slots, but not sure how to buy tickets. The info displayed was not English.

Would you please help!

Thank You,
OKN

Posted by
6637 posts

No advance purchase is needed. You can buy a bus ticket from the bus driver in Hatzenport. All you need for the train part to Hatzenport is the new 9-Euro month-long ticket for the regional train.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank You, I just saw that and was about to ask if I should buy this monthly fair. It seems a very good deal compare to buying the regular train ticket.