Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein Castle

We have three tours to decide on; which would you recommend?

1. Neuschwanstein Castle

2. Neuschwanstein Castle & Hohenschwangau

3. Neuschwanstein Castle, Hohenschwangau & The Museum Of The Bavarian Kings

Thank you for any info you can provide.

Jean

Posted by
8439 posts

Jean FWIW, I've been there three times. One thing you should consider is that the actual tour inside N-stein is only about - 20 minutes (someone correct me if I am wrong) and its a guided tour so no dawdling on your own. The walk up and down the hill is much, much longer than that. In my opinion its not that interesting on the inside anyway, since its not really that historic. So depending on what you're going there for, I don't think the trip is worth it just for N-stein itself, so definitely add the others.

Posted by
1203 posts

I have been to Neuschwanstein Castle this year on the RS GAS tour and loved it but as the other poster said, it is a short tour and you are led from room to room on a tour. No photos allowed inside the castle. Do look out the windows of the castle as it is breathtaking ( I am a huge disney fan and this castle puts disney to shame! If you can believe that). But you can take great photos of the outside of the castle and of the courtyard and the second level looking down into the courtyard! If you are on your own and have the day, go to all three. I have not been to the other castle or the museum but I am sure it will be great. Make sure you go to Queen Mary's bridge ( our tour did not go there and I wish we did). You can see the Hohenschwangau castle from the street level before going up to Neuschwanstein castle. I got really nice photos of the Hohenschwagau castle with my zoom lens! Have a great time. There is also a lake to walk around, I did not do it. But a member of our tour did not want to go on the castle tour as she had already done the tour. So she walked around the lake. I understand the food in the area resturants are super expensive so you may prepare for that or eat later on when you leave. Me personally can't wait to go back and see this castle again!!!

Posted by
3836 posts

Do all three, the museum is very interesting. If you are going by car, take Rick's advice on where to park. We stayed in Fussen and had a car. We arrived the afternoon before so we took a test drive and scoped out the place (how long a drive, where we were going, parking). We had early morning reservations.

Posted by
495 posts

We have rented a car for 9a.m. on an extended day after our coach tour and thought we'd book a tour time for about 1p.m. so we could scout the area out; how long would it take to tour all 3? We will then return to our Munich hotel (about 1 1/2 hour drive) and fly out the next morning.
If I book #3 I assume the first tour is the Castle then on to the others and It looks like a lot of walking; how long between sites?
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
1743 posts

Visiting Neuschwanstein when you're in Bavaria is like visiting Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco or Times Square when you're in New York. You should probably check it out, but there's so much more that's authentic and worthy of investing your limited travel time.

I think the answer to your question depends on how much time you have to see other things while you're there. I assume the more you see the longer the tour, so think about how much time you want to spend seeing these grand castles along with hordes of tourists and weigh that against the other things you want to do and the time you have.

Personally, I'd go with #1. But if you will regret not visiting the other sites, then go see them too.

Posted by
495 posts

Won't regret it if not worth seeing; what do you see if you tour the Castle as it's a short time inside? So would you buy a ticket for #1 or would you just talk around and take photos?
J

Posted by
333 posts

Things to consider before you make up your mind:
* Are you doing this on your own, or as part of a tour group?
* What is the fitness level of the members in your group?
* How many are in your group?
* How much time do you have to spend in the area?

If you don't have a tour group arranging your entrance times and such, you'll need to budget in time to wait in line and get your entrance times to the castle. If you or any members in your group struggle with any fitness issues, you'll want to keep in mind that you must climb the mountain to get to the castle, via a long series of steep switchbacks. It's not a great distance, just under a mile, but it's a very steep mile at a higher elevation than many are used to. The average time to walk the switchbacks is around half an hour. For anybody with mobility issues or fitness issues, it might be double that. There are horse drawn carriages and busses, but they are not always reliable and often have long lines. Once you're at the castle, there are 300 stairs to climb first up, then down. To get to the bridge, where the best views of the castle are, you have another jaunt. Then down the mountain. Then back up the mountain next door for Hoenschwangau. ;-) For most people, the trek won't be a huge deal, but it is something to consider when making your plans. You will tour each castle in an hour or less. You're likely to spend more time in the gift shop! Your walk up and down the mountain is what takes the most time. The area around NC and HC is lovely and worthy of exploring. Depending on the time of year you visit, perhaps take the time to have a picnic at the lake. I'd plan a minimum of half a day for NC and HC, if not more (again depending on time of year and how long you want to hang out taking pictures and sightseeing). I was at NC in May of 2015 as part of the 21BOE. My fitness level wasn't great and I twisted an ankle a couple of days before, so for me the hike was treacherous. It took me about 45 miserable minutes or better to climb the hill. I was so tired I remember very little of the castle- other than that it was very pretty. The climb down was almost worst. I made the decision to skip Hoenschwangau and hung out at the lake while others in my group make the next climb. Some loved it, others said it wasn't that great. Places like that are very subjective. I was impressed enough to want to go back. I'll be back at the castle in September of this year, 70 pounds lighter and ready to settle a score!

Whatever you decide upon, have a great time!
Lisa

Posted by
4825 posts

The inside of Neuschwanstein is not that impressive to me. But the views of the castle and the surrounding area and Hohenschwangau are. Think I would go, have a look around and skip the tour inside. But to each his own. There is a horse drawn carriage that will take you up the hill and it's well worth it. Not sure if Mary's Bridge (great views) will be open--think they were doing some repair work last year. Perhaps someone has recent knowledge about that.

Posted by
495 posts

Lisa, as mentioned above, we've rented a car on our own; 2 seniors. I plan on purchasing our tickets months prior to our visit so we have to drive from Munich airport after picking up the car at 9p.m. so I thought 1p.m. for the at least one tour would give us plenty of time to get there, pick up our reserved tickets and check out the area and walk up to the castle. And no, I find hills a challenge so it would take me a while to walk but hopefully I can get the carriage up to the door.

What do you see inside; if it's empty I may decide to just see the area?

Posted by
12040 posts

I'm one who does find the interior of Neuschwanstein interesting. But it helps if you pre-read about King Ludwig and his obsession with the operas of Richard Wagner. Most of the decor references various scenes from the operas, particularly the Ring Cycle, Lohengrin, Tannhauser and Die Meistersingers von Nuremburg. It would be like if a president filled the White House with Star Wars references. Unfortunately, for the brief 20 minute tour, the guide doesn't have enough time to elaborate. But if you come pre-armed with knowledge of some of the history, it will make more sense when you see it.

I don't know if the situation has changed since my last visit, but I thought the Wittelsbach museum was included with the castle tickets. And unlike the castles, entry is not timed, so you can visit at your leisure.

Posted by
4825 posts

I respect Tom's opinion and value his insight, but to me the views of the outside are more impressive. But then, it only takes 20 or 30 minutes to do the inside so why not?

Posted by
2712 posts

I have not been to the museum but I've been to both castles. I debated about going, and enjoyed them both. One is Ludwig's fantasy, and one is where his family lived. So they are different, but I found both beautiful and interesting. I agree with Tom that it's best to know the history before you go.

I also enjoyed the walk around the lake - beautiful and relaxing.

Posted by
12040 posts

Btw, I just noticed something in your post, Jean. The carriage does not go all the way to the door of the castle, it stops about 4/5 of the way up by a restaurant/souvenir stand. You still have to walk up the final switch back. If walking this final distance up hill will pose a problem, the bus drops you off about an equivalent distance uphill from the castle. And of course, the tour itself involives traversing several flights of stairs.

Posted by
451 posts

We did option two, but we had small children and had to shorten our day. We loved the castles! It was a beautiful blue day. We liked Hohenschwangau because it allows you too see his surroundings growing up. It also has more furnishings than Neuschwanstein. There are several views of Neuschwanstein from walking from the Bus drop off. The Bridge with fantastic views is near the bus drop off with very little climbing. Both tours lead you room to room with no pictures.

I would not rent a car unless going somewhere else. I assume you are coming from Munich, so I would use a Bayern Ticket for 31 Euro to get there and back and a small amount for the bus from Fussen to the castle and back. If I remember correctly, the train trip is about two hours each way. It is cheaper and much less hassle than a car. We carried sandwiches and had a picnic lunch after touring the castle, which most of the tourists seemed to be doing.

Go, it is amazing.

Posted by
495 posts

As I'm in the industry, the total cost of a full size car incl. 0 deductible is only $63 CAD for 1 day picking up at 9a.m. and returning at 9a.m. plus it saves us 75Euros per person from our hotel in Munich to the airport the next morning, it's cheaper to rent for 24 hours.
Thank you all for all this information, much appreciated!

So Tom, it's better to take the bus and walk down but I have to walk back up to get the bus back? I know the stairs will be a slow accent!
Jean

Posted by
19092 posts

it saves us 75Euros per person from our hotel in Munich to the airport
the next morning,

I'm not sure how you could spend 75 euro per person from your hotel in Munich to the airport. From downtown to the airport by taxi is about 55 euro, for a whole taxi, not per person. A group day ticket for public transportation from downtown to the airport is 23,90 euro for up to 5 people.

I would use a Bayern Ticket for 31 Euro to get there and back and a
small amount for the bus from Fussen to the castle

The Bayern-Ticket covers the RVO bus from Füssen to Hohenschwangau (town). It's not necessary to pay for any transportation from the castle kiosk in Hohenschwangau to the castle, although there is an extra cost bus to the bridge (Marienbrücke) overlooking Neuschwanstein.

Posted by
495 posts

Well, we're on a coach tour & the hotel they're putting us up in is not in the downtown area (it's the opposite way from the airport) and I was quoted 75E per person for a taxi to the airport; then I have to pay for the train... so having a car is must more convenient & cheaper.
J

Posted by
12040 posts

Jean, I'm probably not the best suited to answer that question, as I've never used either the bus or carriage, I've always walked. I know that the carrage isn't a "round trip ticket", you pay for the ascent and descent separately. Perhaps if the bus uses a similar fare system, consider riding the bus up to the castle, then after the tour, walk downhill to the restaurant and take the carriage from there.

Posted by
1370 posts

We're planning to visit in July 2017 and will tour the interiors of both castles. You can't get the full experience if you don't go inside!

Posted by
8372 posts

I am going to suggest that you don't go on any of them. Neuschwanstein Castle is okay, but it is not what I would spend my one day on if I had a day trip free from Munich.. It has a nice location and is interesting, but it is not honestly the "must see" sight that it is sometimes made out to be.

Look at going to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You can go up the Zugspitze, walk through a gorge, enjoy the downtown area, ride a summer luge.

Posted by
495 posts

If I was to see the Castle then drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen on our return to Munich, what are the roads like in the middle of October?
Thanks,
Jean

Posted by
12040 posts

Even in the winter, the roads are usually fine. The main route though Austria follows the course of the valley. The road winds a bit in places, but it contains very lititle change in elevation.

Posted by
12040 posts

It's the only reasonable driving route between Neuschwanstein and Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Otherwise, you have to drive far out of your way to the north then double back to the south via Oberammergau.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you take the route to Garmisch-Partenkirchen via Reutte, you will need an Austrian (Toll) Vignette on your car. If it doesn't already have it, it will cost 8,80€.

Posted by
171 posts

I was underwhelmed by the interior of Neuschwanstein, but I am not a Wagner fan. In fact I would skip the interiors of the castles and instead take the bus up to Marienbrucke (it reopened last year) and enjoy the view of Neuschwanstein and the lake beyond. You could then walk down past the castle, and from there, back into Fussen. or take the bus back into town.

From Fussen you could drive to Garmisch on the German Alpenstrasse or via Reutte in Austria. The Alpenstrasse will take you through Steingaden, which is close to Wieskirche. Wieskirche is a small church with a rather plain exterior but a spectacular interior. Back on the Alpenstrasse you will pass Oberammergau and Mittenwald which are pretty little towns.

Alternatively, you could drive the Reutte route and visit Linderhof, another of Ludwig's Palaces - or in this case a hunting lodge. Linderhof's grounds are beautiful. Again I would skip the interior tour.

Austria requires a reflective safety vest a Vignette and an International Driver's Permit