Please sign in to post.

neuschwanstein castle

I would like to visit the grounds only if the castle. Specifically the bridge the overlooks the castle. Can you do this at all hours of the day? From what I could find it doesn't sound like you need a ticket, besides a bus ticket. But I'm also wondering what time the busses start to run? I'm going in September if this helps for reference. I would like to see the castle but I really don't have an interest in going inside. So I would like to get to there castle and leave before it starts getting too busy. TIA for your help!

Posted by
6662 posts

...what time the busses start to run?

Are you staying locally, like in Füssen? Or are you talking about transport from some more distant place (like Munich, or...?)

Posted by
6 posts

I would be staying overnight right outside Fussen. So the hope would be to get up to outside the castle between 7-8am if possible. I just wasn't sure if busses ran that early or if you were allowed to.

Posted by
6662 posts

The bus will not get you all the way up to the castle. It will deliver you to a spot near the ticket center. From the ticket center it is possible to hire a carriage ride that gets you CLOSER to the castle but not all the way to it. This page provides details.

https://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/howtoget.htm

At the link below, you can input your hotel address, wherever that is, and the bus stop destination (in bold below) to find bus schedules for the date in question.

Schwangau, Schloss Neuschwanstein (Tourismus)

https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Looks to me like bus 78 starts making that run to the castle stop at about 7:30 am. But that may depend on your date.

Posted by
58 posts

Once at the base of the castles where there are a few shops, restaurants and a pretty lake, you can take a carriage partially up or if you take the bus up it takes you to the Marienbrucke (the bridge)....from there it is a downhill walk to the castle. Even without going inside you can get great views from the bridge and the area around the castle closer up. Would need to walk back up to the bridge to get the bus back down...or Walk a bit downhill to catch a carriage ride down.