Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein Castle

If you plan on spending the night near this castle where would you stay (reasonable price) and how hard is it to get there from the place you recommend. Thanks for any information!!!

Posted by
6788 posts

All the questions you asked are answered clearly in the Rick Steves book. You have that, right?

Posted by
12 posts

Well I ordered the book and have not got it yet. Pretty excited and don't understand why you can't just give some input instead of trashing a place I want to see. Some people may have opinions of cute little places they stayed that may not be in the Rick Steves book or helpful ideas. That is what this page is for correct?

Posted by
5581 posts

I stayed in Munich and took the train utilizing Bayern tickets. There is a bus in Fussen that goes to the castles. So if you see a place to stay in Fussen, the transportation will be easy. While I would agree that Neuschwanstein might be a little overrated, the exterior is pretty spectacular. I suspect that if we hadn't gone, I might always wish I had. That said, you should also be sure to see Hohenschwangau. It is basically across the street. It was actually lived in, its furnished and the tour provides great background that will make Neuschwanstein more interesting. So try to do Hohenschwangau first.

Posted by
5581 posts

Oh, if you have a library handy, go check out a few of the travel books to use until you receive the book you ordered. I do like RS best for accommodations, but sometimes its helpful to look at Lonely Planet, Foder's and Frommer's as well. I also have found Tripadvisor to be helpful when looking for restaurants and lodging.

Posted by
4842 posts

Agree with Jules that if you don't have a car, staying in Fussen makes sense for ease of transportation. If you have a car, you could also look at staying in Schwangau. Haven't stayed there myself, as we always visited Neuschwanstein as a day trip.

Posted by
2399 posts

We stayed at the Schwangauer Hof which is located between Fussen and the castles. It is accessable by bus and of course by taxi. And it is a short walk to Fussen. Decent place, ok price. Neuschwanstein is visible from some rooms.

Posted by
3044 posts

Have fun. Best thing about Neuschwanstein - get there early. We were there in 2015, midafternoon, June. Not a good time - so very crowded. We wanted to see the view from the Marienbrucke, but could not physically get to it. If possible go to the castles early.

Posted by
4313 posts

We went to the Castle in 2012 because our teenage daughter wanted to go. Although the Castle didn't do much for me, Fussen is one of my favorite places. Picturesque, compact so fun to walk in, interesting museum, easy to reach by train. Several hotels are an easy walk from the train station-I forget the name of the one we stayed in. Honestly, the hotel Stephen mentions with a room having a view of the castle would suit me much better than a visit to the Castle.

Posted by
45 posts

Scola,
Don't listen to the naysayers. The castles are great. There is a reason they are among the first things you associate with Germany. At a minimum, the façades of the castles are something you will remember forever. The interiors are quite interesting and sometimes breathtaking. Add the charming yet tragic tales that go along with it and you have something special. Make sure you also visit the lower, original "hunting lodge."

Last November, we stayed in Fussen at a lovely hotel call Hotel Hirsch (I think it was a Rick suggestion, but the wife might have found it on TA). Breakfast was included, the room was very large and comfortable (and affordable), and it was in the center of town. The staff was actually a little upset with us for sleeping in one morning and not eating the breakfast (which was yummy). The restaurant was very nice as well. We were the only Americans amongst a group of locals who were very friendly and even brought along their dogs. I think it was only about a 15 minute drive to the castles.

The only regret I have was our timing. We arrived just after American Thanksgiving, which was very much in between seasons since the snow had just started to fall. It was nice that everything was quiet, but it was almost too quiet. Even so, the castles were busy. We had planned on getting there early, and wish we had. It was still amazing, just a little crowded.

Posted by
6525 posts

We had a rental car, so we stayed in Reutte at the Goldener Hirsch. The day we went to the castle it was so foggy one couldn’t get a good view of it. The tour was fine. My wife and I feel that Berg Eltz is every bit as nice.

Posted by
19092 posts

Last October we spent three nights (two full days) in [Pfronten][1], which is just up the Außerfernbahn rail line from Reutte, just over the border into Germany. This was my third stay in Pfronten, my second stay here. Pfronten is less expensive than Füssen and prettier than Reutte. There are frequent buses from Pfronten to Füssen in about a half hour, and the buses are covered by a transit pass you get when staying at an accommodation there.

On our first day there, we just cruised around town, visiting some of the little shops. The second day we used the transit pass to go to Füssen and tour Neuschwanstein.

Posted by
138 posts

We loved Fussen and the Neushwanstein Castle! We stayed at the Hotel Sonne Fussen for two nights. It was right in Fussen which is a quaint town with restaurants and shops right outside the door. There is also a beautiful church within walking distance that is worth visiting. It is only a short drive to the castles. It was within walking distance of the train station. I know people say Neuschwanstein isn't a real castle but it sure looks like a castle to me and is definitely worth seeing. Fussen was one of our favorite stops in Germany.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks so much for the great info! We plan on being in Germany for Christmas Markets and i have always wanted to see this castle. Thanks Again!