Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein Castle

Hello, We will be arriving in Munich tomorrow and have 4 days to explore the city and surroundings. Unfortunately, it is going to rain all 4 days. My son really wants to visit Neuschwanstein Castle. We have the option of going on a weekday or weekend. Are there any recommendations? We will book our tickets in advance. I was waiting for the weather but looks like it does not matter now. Thank you so much.

Posted by
5581 posts

In my experience when traveling, it seems the forecast tends to be more pessimistic than what actually occurs. I also think that it is easier to make due in sub optimal weather in larger cities so though disappointing, I think you will enjoy Munich in spite of any rain.

I would tend towards saying weekday would be less busy at Neuschwanstein. I went on a weekday. What are you seeing when you look at the website in terms of ticket availability? If there are fewer available for the weekend, I think the weekend will be busier. I actually enjoyed the exterior of Neuschwanstein more than the interior and very much enjoyed the tour of Hohenschwangau. During that tour you learn more about Ludwig and the family which provides context for neuschwanstein. I also enjoyed Hohenschwangau's interior very much. If you choose to do both, I'd go to Hohenschwangau first.

Posted by
2399 posts

If you go on the weekend and use the Bayern Ticket, you can take trains before 9:00 AM

Posted by
61 posts

Thanks, Jules M and Stephen. Looks like the only option we have is to go on Sunday as the reservation requires at least 2 days advance notice. If both castles can be entered with a guided tour, does the crowd really matter? Should we reserve both castles in the afternoon and leave Munich at 10 am? Any downside of coming back late on Sunday?
Julie M: Thank you for letting me know about the other castle. It was not on my list but it does look very pretty. Thanks for your optimistic view on the weather :)

Posted by
61 posts

While checking weekend options, I also came across Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket for the weekends. Is this ticket better than Byran ticket? We will be only two adults with a child so there is not much difference in price for us. Thank you.

Posted by
2399 posts

Bayern Ticket is cheaper and all you need since the trip is entirely within Bavaria (Bayern). You would use the other if you travelled in multiple states.