Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle tours

My wife and I are planning to visit both Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles in early October, 2023.

We are planning to stay/lodge in Fussen for two or three nights.

I am wondering if there is an local guide that could lead us in a english speaking tour that is reasonably priced and Rick Steves recommended?

We would also ask for recommendations for lodging during that time.

Thank you in advance!
Bryan

Posted by
33525 posts

outside tour guides are not permitted inside Neuschwanstein - you have to take one of their own tours. You can use the search engine and find dozens (hundreds??) of discussions about people's views of those tours (me personally, once was more than enough, never to repeat it).

I don't know about Hohenschwangau but it is the same folks so I expect the same rules.

Posted by
68 posts

I did both of these castle tours last year and enjoyed them, very interesting! As said above, you have to book the tours through the castle website. I believe this is it - https://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/tourist/index.htm

There's a lot of walking/roaming options around both castles, it's a beautiful area. I really enjoyed renting a bike and riding all around Fussen. We stayed in Altstadthotel "Zum Hechten" and would stay there again. Great location, tasty breakfast included and wonderful restaurant - went there twice for dinner.

Posted by
33525 posts

thigpen.katie

Hi, I used to stay at the zum Hechten. Last time I was there the great vegetarian restaurant downstairs had closed. What's in the space now?

Posted by
2956 posts

We toured both castles and we found the Hohenschwangau tour more interesting.

Another vote for the Hotel zum Hechten in Fuessen. We stayed here twice.