Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein

Hi, we will be looking to visit Neuschwanstein in September. Assuming I have my timed tickets purchased how long does it take to see all that's there and should I be looking at adding one of the other Castles in the area?

Posted by
13802 posts

Neuschwanstein is on one side of the small valley and his parent's home, Hohenschwangau is across the valley. Since that was actually lived in I enjoyed that tour more but I know the first time everyone feels they should see Neuschwanstein.

https://goo.gl/maps/qYjJQGE6auY1MpMv6

There is a nice lake there that you can walk around or partway around if you need to get away from the tourist throngs but otherwise in that valley just the 2.

You'll either walk up to the gates of Neuschwanstein (steepish so allow 20 minutes or more depending on your fitness level), then after your guided tour (maybe 30 minutes?) walk up a bit more to see the view from Mary's Bridge (classic jigsaw puzzle view, lol). Then walk or ride back down...so maybe 1.5 hours total for this side, an hour for the other side.

There are a bunch of gift shops at the bottom near the parking area for cars and buses plus a couple of restaurants.

Where are you spending the night?

Posted by
8377 posts

I've been there three times. The tour inside the castle (no free time on your own) was between 20-30 minutes. Less than the time standing in line, or the walk up the hill. Its not that interesting on the inside, so adding another castle would be good idea.

Posted by
5503 posts

Hohenschwangau provides a great introduction/overview of the family and King Ludwig. It is pretty much across the street from Neuschwanstein. I would do Hohenschwangau first