Please sign in to post.

Munich Transportation

My 25 year old son and I will land at MUC in the morning. We will take the S-bahn to Munchen HBF. That same day, we may (or not) go to Dachau or Nymphenburg Palace. (I understand that many of you would not recommend going to Dachau on this day) The next day, we have a private guide for 6 hours. We will spend most of the time within walking distance of our hotel and Marienplatz. However, we may go to the BMW museum or Nymphenburg or Dachau on this day with the guide.

Do I have this right? For transportation from the airport to HBF and then on to Dachau or Nymphenburg later, I should get a
Group, all day ticket. This would cover all of the transportation.

If we are only traveling to HBF and then walking the rest of the day, it would be better to get 2 single trip tickets at the airport.

I will be paying for the guide's transportation and admission fees, so again getting a group all day M5 ticket would work.

Right?

Posted by
19092 posts

Have you already found the Munich metro website?

A single trip ticket (M-5) for each of you from the airport to the Hbf (or anywhere else in the central Munich zone) would cost 12,30€, so tickets for both of you would cost 24,60€. That would be the least expensive option. A group day ticket for the same route would cost 25,70€ (1,10€ more).

Where is your hotel? Both the single trip and day ticket would cover you from the airport to your hotel, even if you need more transportation (U-Bahn, bus, ?) to get to the hotel. Any transportation after you get to you hotel would be covered by the day ticket, not by the single trip ticket.

If you walk anywhere from the Hbf (or your hotel), you might want to use transportation to get back, or you might change you mind and decide to go to Dachau or Nymphenburg anyway. Then you would want the day ticket. 1,10€ would be cheap insurance against wanting to use more transportation in Munich that day than originally planned. I'd get the day ticket.

The next day, if both of you and the guide go to Dachau, you will want an M-1 (not M-5) group day ticket for 17,-€.

The airport is in zone 5; Dachau is in zone 1; the Hbf is in the central zone, M. The official name for the bus stop at the Dachau Memorial is "K-Z Gedenkstätte (or Gedenkstaette), Dachau".