Please sign in to post.

Munich transportation

We will be in Munich for several days during Oktoberfest this September. We are staying at an Air BNB a few miles out of city center, so we will be on the train several times. We are also planning a trip to Dachau. Is there a pass for Munich that would be beneficial, or should we just pay by the ride? Would this be something we could purchase in the train station-- like the multi-day/trip passes you can buy for the NYC subway? Thanks for any help!
Beth

Posted by
94 posts

We got a multi day pass for our 4 nights in Munich in April that covered the 4 of us. So much easier than buying individual tickets! Yes, there are machines in the bigger stations that you can buy from-instructions in English.

Posted by
961 posts

I also recommend the multi day pass if you're going to be there more than 48 hours. It will allow you to use both UBahn and Trams.

Posted by
19113 posts

First, are you going to be staying (sleeping and sightseeing) entirely in the inner zone of Munich? You might be. Most everything that people see in Munich, except Dachau, is in the inner zone.

A pass for unlimited travel in a day is called a Tageskarte; for up to 5 people it is a Gruppen-Tageskarte. There is a 3-day Gruppen-Tageskarte for the inner zone for 29,60€. There is also a one day inner zone Gruppen-Tageskarte for 12,80€. Neither one will cover you for the day you go to Dachau. For that day you will need a Muenchen XXL Gruppen Tageskarte for 16,10. If you are going to be there for exactly three days, you might be able to still use the 3-day Gruppen-Tageskarte and supplement it on the Dachau day by buying individual "kurzstrecke" tickets from Karlsfeld (last stop in the inner zone) to Dachau (not Dachau Stadt) for 1,50€/P each way. Depending on the number of people in your party, that might be cost effective.

Here is the fare map for the S-/U-Bahn in Munich.

Posted by
197 posts

Thanks everyone! I am staying in the inner zone. Sounds like I can get a three day pass and add on for Dachau. The train map was very helpful!
Beth

Posted by
94 posts

The MVV app was incredibly helpful during our time in Munich. We used it to plan our next days travels as well as find trains on the fly when our schedule or location changed from our plans. It was free on Google Play for my Android phone.

Posted by
19113 posts

Are you flying in or out of Munich? Do you need to use the S-Bahn to get to or from the airport? That could change you transportation pass needs.

Update: Oh, I see from another posting that you are flying into Munich and going directly to Salzburg. A Bayern-Ticket, purchased at the airport, will cover you for the S-Bahn to Ostbahnhof (or the Hbf) and a Meridian (regional) train to Salzburg.

Then you are coming back to Munich. Another Bayern-Ticket, purchasable at the Hauptbahnhof in Salzburg will cover you on the Meridian train to Munich and any local transport (S-/U-Bahn, trams, buses) in Munich the day you get there.

Then you have three whole days in Munich for which you will use a 3-day Inner Zone pass with individual Kurzstrecke ticket from the inner zone to Dachau and back.

Sounds like a plan.