Please sign in to post.

Munich to Venice

My neice, age 21, and I will be traveling south through Germany from Frankfurt and would like to take the train from Munich area into Venice. I don't know if it's the construction in Innsbruck but I'm not finding many affordable options for a daytime trip around the 22nd of September 2018. We are trying to decide if we would be better off getting a German rail pass which, if I'm reading it correctly, includes the trip to Venice or just buying point-to-point rail or bus tickets. From what I'm finding, the pass may be the way to go.

Posted by
2487 posts

At Trainline - agent for a number of European railway companies - I see a wide choice of connections for 22th September, some direct, some with a change at Verona Porta Nuova, with prices starting at EUR 49,90.
I don't see the attractions of a pass, unless you mean the Brenner Pass, which makes this one of the better railway trips in Europe.

Posted by
8439 posts

I see the same fare that Tom found on Deutsche Bahn website, bahn.com Where are you looking? I dont think you'll find a pass that is less than that.

edit. Are you looking at RailEurope for fare information? RE is a third-party seller of tickets, not the actual operator, so they charge for the service of assisting you with ticket and pass sales. Go to Trainline or Bahn, and you'll see many options and fares. Looks like construction is supposed to be done by Sept 2.

Posted by
2487 posts

I was also suspecting Rail Europe. And indeed: they give only one connection (at 11:34) at the considerable price of USD 137.

Posted by
16893 posts

The German Rail Pass does cover the direct Munich-Venice trains departing at either 7:34 or 11:34 a.m. on September 22. If you'll have at least two other significant days of train travel, then the pass with travel-together discount may be a good option. These international trains need a seat reservation with a rail pass, which you can buy in Frankfurt or on the DB site for 4.50 euros/person. If reserving it through Rail Europe, you would actually indicate that you have a "Eurail Global Pass," meaning a pass that covers the whole route.

If you want the advance-discount tickets, instead, then do buy those on the DB site. I don't know why Rail Europe doesn't have the advance-discount tickets at this time, since they're had them before.