Please sign in to post.

Munich to Salzburg

I am looking for a day trip from Munich to Salzburg later this month. Need round-trip transport and a private tour. Has anyone had experience with DayTrip for this type of thing? Thanks in advance for advice. JJ

Posted by
186 posts

We were there in April. Took a train and explored on our own. Salzburg is quite compact and the train was easy. Bought tix ahead of time on an RJX (?) train.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you. I have a few people in my party who are not very mobile. Although they can walk, they have trouble with escalators and with train travel. Hence we are looking for a van. DayTrip advertises they can do that sort of thing but they are a platform that connects travelers with independent vehicle owners.

Posted by
274 posts

Depending on what day and time you plan to go, you can purchase inexpensive Bavaria regional train tickets. See:

https://int.bahn.de/en/offers/regional/regional-day-ticket-bavaria

Salzburg is easy to navigate and there is plenty to do and see. I think you are making a good choice to head there for a day. I also think that you could see it without a guide. Usually, we have planned itineraries, even for day trips. However, when we visited Salzburg we just got off the train and wandered. It turned out to be one of our favorite days of a Munich and surrounding area vacation.

Posted by
186 posts

To circle back to your original question, we’ve used mydaytrip.com successfully four times. They organize a driver for you. it’s not really a tour, though. You’d still be on your own in Salzburg, though I’m sure you can direct them where you’d like to be driven.