Please sign in to post.

Munich to Salzburg

Hi
Would like to know which munich city pass allows you to travel up to salzburg. Bayern allows you to travel after 9 AM. so it is not convenient.
I have GRP but do not have a day to spare for salzburg. pl help

Posted by
268 posts

At which time would you like to depart? You can just buy a regular ticket on bahn.com - or, if you want to depart just before 9 am, combine a Bayern ticket with a local ticket to the first station that is reached after 9 am (München Ost, if I remember correctly).

Posted by
2339 posts

There is no such pass. If you want to travel cheaply early on a workday take a Flixbus. Presently there is one at 6:30, look up busradar.com.

BTW, there is no time restriction to the Bayern Ticket on weekends.

Posted by
19100 posts

Not sure I understand your question. Are you unaware that you can purchase full fare single trip tickets for any regional train to Salzburg for €33,90? You don't have to have a pass to travel on these trains. If you are just trying to save money, then, since you apparently don't have an available day on you GRP, going on a weekend or waiting until after 9:56 on a weekday and using a Bayern (or Meridian) pass is just about your only option. What other GRP days are you using in Germany? Could you use another pass or a full fare ticket for one of those days and save that day for Salzburg?

Posted by
9 posts

Hi
Thanks all for your inputs. I think Bayern pass is the best option as it's week end so I can travel to Salzburg by 6.55AM train. Correct me if I am wrong. Saturday is considered as weekend , correct?

Posted by
9 posts

Hi
I just read somewhere that FAMILY RULE applies to Bayern pass, means max three adults can travel with this pass, can some one give me interpretation of this rule?

Posted by
32825 posts

Your last question has me very confused.

Maybe it is best if you explain a bit more about who is in the group, their ages if child or senior, and where you are going on the trip.

You've asked 3 questions here in the Forums, all about this rail travel, but they are always for different numbers.

Back in September Russ asked similar questions. We don't ask it to be nosey - we'll probably never meet you. But have previously said you are a group of 6, and a group of 5, now a group of 3?? You've previously said you have a day of GRP free for the Salzburg trip, here you say you are a day short.

The Bayern Ticket might be the right answer for this day, but there are other tickets which may be better.

Can you clarify what you are doing, when and who? Then you can get an answer which will be much clearer to you.

Posted by
2339 posts

just read somewhere that FAMILY RULE applies to Bayern pass, means max three adults can travel with this pass, can some one give me interpretation of this rule?

I've never heared about that rule. The maximum number of travellers on a BT is 5 adults. Different rules apply if you have children with you.

Terms and conditions of the BT seem to be available in German only, so here is my humble attempt of a translation of the relevant segment:

A Bayern-Ticket can be used by:
(1) up to five persons travelling together
or
(2) a person with any number of children or grandchildren up to and including 14 years of age ("family children") and one (!) other person
(3) Family children in accordance with (2) and children up to and including the age of 5 years travel free of charge. They do not count when determining the number of travellers.
[and you do NOT enter their names in the ticket either]

--

It's getting a bit tricky if there are more than two adults in the group. If you can tell us the configuration of your group we can give you a more exact reply to your question.