Please sign in to post.

Munich to Rome

I am looking for help on train travel between Munich and Rome at the very end of June/1st of July. Best way to go about this?

Posted by
20178 posts

Go to www.bahn.com. It is a 9 to 10 hour train ride during the day, all with at least 1 connection, and there is a direct night train taking almost 14 hours.

Posted by
2487 posts

It will be a long, but pleasant day on the train. There is a direct connection Munich to Bologna, leaving at 8.51 and arriving at 16.20. Allowing yourself some leeway in Bologna, you can take the direct 17.35 or 17.45 to Rome, taking around 2 hrs. Both trains are already bookable on the Deutsche Bahn (Munich to Bologna) and Trenitalia (Bologna to Rome) at the attractive price of EUR 59,90 and EUR 29,90 (for Saturday 30/6; cheaper for Friday 29/6 or Sunday 1/7). They should also be bookable through Trainline.eu.

Posted by
7880 posts

forget the train I just bought one way plane tickets
Wed. 16 May 2018: MUNICH DE - ROME IT

1​6​:2​0​ h MUNICH DE MUNICH INTERNATIONAL (MUC)
TERMINAL 2
1​7​:5​0​ h ROME IT FIUMICINO (FCO)
TERMINAL 3
LH1846
operated by: LUFTHANSA
Class/Fare: ECONOMY/LIGHT (L)
Total Price of your Tickets
Passenger Type
Price
Taxes, fees & surcharges
Passengers
Total Price of your Tickets
Adults
14.00 €
45.57 €

Posted by
4888 posts

I don't mind the Munich to Venice train. But the trip to Rome is looooong. We did the night train once. Won't do that again. I agree that a flight would be faster, and could be cheaper.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you, everyone! The info was extremely helpful! We are still going to take the train, not fly, and use it as a time to rest as we will just have spent 11 days in Ireland/Germany.