Please sign in to post.

munich to prague and return

I appreciate all of the input provided for my upcoming trip to Europe. My last hurdle is the transport Munich to Prague...round trip. I did go to the bahn site and came up with a reasonable venue. Although, experienced with german train travel, I get nervous with this side trip.If I read it correctly, a bus from munich to prague and a combined bus thru Nuremburg and ICE to munich is E90 for two travelers...ages 71 and 69 I would love for someone to say yes that is correct, or better yet, yes I have done that. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
897 posts

We only did a Nuremberg to Prague bus with return and it was pretty simple. Late in arrival because of traffic going into Prague of course. Nuremberg to Munich is very simple with multiple trains. I have not tried Munich to Prague direct and return.

Posted by
19238 posts

Without knowing the dates and times, I can't try to reproduce the fares, but just comparing two round trips by bus (and train) between Munich and Prague for some not--too-far-out random dates, I think it's low. Maybe if a date in the fall. What dates are you looking at?

BTW, are you returning by bus and train to get the best fair? Have you tried bus only?

Posted by
2457 posts

€90 return for two is ok (cheapest fare for the bus / ICE combo is usually €19.90 pp one way, same for the IC bus). You could undercut that a bit by taking the direct train for the return trip. Will take approx half an hour longer (5:36), but if you pre book at the E-Shop of Czech Rail a (train specific) ticket will be only €14.50 pp. (Do't book with DB, they can give you only the expensive international standard fare since they don't operate that trains).

Posted by
211 posts

Lee...the dates are Sept 18 to prague. Sept 23 back to Munich. I used the bahn site and also included ages. The to and from were based on early departures both ways. Thanks again

Posted by
2457 posts

I can see a Czech RegioJet dep. Munich 7:35 for €13.90 pp at www.busradar.com. It offers the same comfort level as the IC bus. For the return trip cheapest bus fares appear to be €19.90 (FlixBus, dep 7:00) and €18.90 (RegioJet, dep. 10:15). Czech Rail offers train specific tickets for the direct train from czk 364 = €14.50 pp for that date. The train takes approx 30 min longer than the bus.

Posted by
19238 posts

I notice that if you wait until 10:15 on the 23rd to leave Prague, you could get a €70 all-bus (direct to Munich, no change in Nürnberg) fare.

Several things you should know about the bus fare at which you are looking.

1) the Munich to Prague bus leaves from the Munich ZOB (bus terminal), which is at the Hackerbrücke S-Bahn station, which is about a 0.4 mile walk east of the Hbf. Of course, if you are going to need local transport in Munich to get to the Hbf anyway, it's just a minute from the Hbf by S-Bahn.

2) the ticket is a Super SparPreis ticket, meaning it is valid only for a specific bus (date and time) and non-transferable, non-refundable. It's a great price, but you have to commit now to a specific bus, and you can't change your plans without losing the ticket. If you wait until closer to your travel date to commit, the tickets will undoubtedly be more expensive.

3) that Super SparPreis ticket does not include a city ticket, meaning that any transport in Munich needed to get to the ZOB will be extra.

That round trip, all-bus ticket mentioned above comes as a regular SparPreis ticket for €12 more. It is refundable (with a voucher, for a fee) up to the day before travel and includes a city ticket, which will cover transport to and from the ZOB.

If you want the freedom of deciding at the time what times to travel, there is also the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket. It's valid for any regional rail transportation between Munich and Pilsen on a single day (after 9 am workdays, anytime weekends) for €35,60 for 2 travelers (€71,20 RT). You would still need tickets for Pilsen to Prague. I am getting conflicting prices depending on the website. IDOS shows the one-way fare from Pilsen to Prague as 160 Kc, or about €6,25/per person, making the RT with the Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket about €96, with full flexibility. However, cd.cz, shows the price for 26-64 yo adults as 125 Kc, or about €5, and 65+, if you can get it, as 31 Kc or about €1,20. I don't know if those prices require online purchase through CD, or if you can get them on the train for the same price.

The Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket is valid from anywhere in Bavaria, not just the Munich ZOB, and includes all transport by any conveyance of the MVV in Munich.