Please sign in to post.

munich to prague

I have been viewing the options for travel to Prague from Munich. Buses offer rates from $16-30 for direct trips. Has anyone used the bus for this venue....and which of the buses would you recommend?

Posted by
1232 posts

I took the bus from Prague to Nuremberg. It was great. More comfortable than the train.

Posted by
518 posts

We took the bus from Prague to Munich in 2016. I purchased through DB Bahn. We bought in advance and paid 17.50 E each. It took us from main train station in Prague to Main station in Munich non stop (11:15 to 15:53). Easy ride, was able to reserve seats in advance, bathroom on bus, double deck. We actually got the first row on top and had a panoramic view. I selected the bus as it was a little cheaper and faster.

Posted by
25 posts

We traveled by train and found it an easy trip. 5.5 hours if I recall. It was booked on the https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm site, and was no hassle at all. We booked a private van from the station to the hotel in old town as we were a larger group and arriving later in the evening.

Posted by
19092 posts

I have no problem using a bus when the train doesn't go where I want to go, which is somewhat rare, but I wouldn't take a bus if a train were available.

I'm not sure about commercial buses, but I will comment on the Bahn IC buses versus trains.

For a single person (or two) going from Munich itself to Prague, the bus fare can be lower. With advance purchase, the IC bus fare can be as low as 19,90€. But, depending on ticket sales, the price could be higher, a lot higher. Also, the bus basically runs without an intermediate stop from Munich ZOB to Munich (occasionally stops in Regensburg).

On the other hand, with a Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket, you can go from anywhere in Bavaria (by train or by regional bus to the Czech border) to Pilsen for 28€ + 6,60€ each extra person. A Czech Rail ticket from Pilsen to Prague will cost less than 5€ per person.