Please sign in to post.

Munich to Oberammergau

We have decided to rent a car and drive ourselves from Munich to Oberammergau. Anything we need to know about this drive, or somewhere we should stop and visit for a short time? If not, we’ll just drive directly there.
Also, would welcome any suggestions on restaurants Oberammergau.
Thank you.

Posted by
2322 posts

The drive is very easy. Mittenwald is a little farther along past your turn off, but well worth a visit.

Posted by
32772 posts

if you go via the A95 towards Garmisch Partenkirchen expect heavy traffic - always - as you get to the Oberammergau turnoff and into Ga-P. Always.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Don't miss the Benedictine abbey (Benediktinerabtei Ettal) in Ettal on the way in or out. They also do a brewery with good products and food.

Posted by
19092 posts

A place you could visit on the way to Oberammergau is the Schloss Possenhofen, in Pöcking, on the west shore of Starnbergersee. Possenhofen is where then Princess Elisabeth (Sisi), who was a close friend of King Ludwig II and was later the wife of Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria, grew up.

Posted by
2333 posts

Another very nice plae is Murnau at lake Staffellsee. From there you could take the secondary road via Bad Kohlgrub to Oberammergau to avoid the stau at the end of the A95 in Eschenlohe.

Posted by
6 posts

Its an easy drive, some of the Autobahn portions are unrestricted.

Although both are pretty close to Oberammergau, a second for the Benedictine Monastery in Ettal and Linderhof Palace.

Another option to get out of the car for a few minutes it is the alpine coaster at Kolbensattel.

https://www.kolbensattel.de/en/alpine-coaster

Posted by
1293 posts

I can concur with sla019 for Murnau am Staffelsee and followed up on the suggestion. Due to the recent Bahn and Lufthansa strikes, our trip to Krakau, PL was canceled at 17:00 the night before we were to depart. Bags packed we drove the car to Murnau for three overnights as a alternative. As many times I've driven A95 I never stopped in Murnau. The town and the surrounding lakes and Moos was nice. Good restaurants and cafe too. Relaxing. Some new tunnels open around Garmish and more to open soon are reducing traffic problems thru the area. I'm sure it is making the local folks happy.
Murnau... Karg Bräustüberl
Grissini da Alfredo
Gaststätte Ähnd