Please sign in to post.

Munich to ?

Hi everyone,

We are in Munich (2 nights) for the last weekend of Oktoberfest and we are trying to figure out where to go next. We have 2 nights remaining before we have 1 night in Frankfurt to catch our flight home.

We are into hiking, nature, castles, etc. Not so much museums. We we're considering Stuttgart but nothing in that area jumped out at us. We want to see the castles but not sure we have the time, especially Neuschwanstein , but we think it's out of the way.

What are your thoughts on Nuerburg?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Posted by
32888 posts

Close to Stuttgart is the hilly riverside university town of Tübingen. Very nice.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Chad- Here are several options you could consider, all with a car or train.

1. Monday to Neuschwanstein, Spend nite in that area.

1a. Then follow Jazz's suggestion Tuesday and go to Heidelberg and spend nite there.

1b. Or go to Stuttgart for Volksfest on Tuesday - It will probably cost more to stay in Stuttgart than Heidelberg Tuesday nite.

1. Follow Sam's advice and go to the Volksfest and stay in Stuttgart 2 nites.

2a. Or, just stay in Stuttgart for 1 nite (Monday) and go to Heidelberg Tuesday and stay in Heidelberg Tuesday nite.

I have personally done options 2 and 2a. If you decide to visit Stuttgart, get reservations NOW as the hotel prices keep going up. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bad Cannstatt which is 3-4 blocks from the Volksfest.

I hope you have good weather and have a great trip!!!
PS- Heidelberg is only 45 minutes or so to FRA if you don't want to spend the last night in Frankfurt. Especially if your flight is noon or later.

Posted by
43 posts

Thanks for everyone's responses:

Sam, We aren't very much into the drinking scene, we are ok with just doing the one. We found out about stuttgarts festivals and just aren't interested. Too much partying for us lame kids :)

Lola, appreciate that information. Those sound nice!

Niegel, we will look into that!

Kenneth, thanks for the informative reply. We have almost no interested in volksfest (since we don't drink and we would have already seen Oktoberfest in Munich). I like your agenda. We will pencil that in and see how it looks.

thanks for all your suggestions. We are always looking for more, so keep them coming!