Please sign in to post.

Munich to Dachau

Hello again! While in Munich we will take a day and take the train to Dachau. I understand that is an easy passage on the STrain and only takes about 10 minutes. Then a bus or taxi to the site. I am thinking we will probably spend 3/4 hours there. So after that is there anything in that area that we should explore? Just looking for suggestions. A day trip somewhere. We will spend a day in Munich to explore and visit as well. Many thanks

Posted by
19092 posts

I assume you are saying you will probably spend 3-4 hours there, not 3/4 hour (45 minutes). It's definitely worth spending more time, either with an audio guide or the 2½ hour tour guided by a guide trained by the memorial. That tour costs 4,-€. I took the tour, and I definitely think it was worth the money.

Posted by
7312 posts

Everyone has a different personal reaction, but you might want to be prepared for some in your group to find the death camp such a shocking experience that they want a quiet lunch and a less "touristy" afternoon. It's possible that the Palace and its gardens (which I haven't been to) is a good choice.

Posted by
416 posts

Unless you’re a psychopath, you’re gonna be emotionally spent after Dachau. As an emotional counterpoint, go to the English Gardens for some sun if it’s nice or maybe one of the fantastic Munich art museums if it’s raining.

And I would spring for a human guide.

Posted by
19092 posts

And I would spring for a human guide.

I would agree. I took the Memorial's tour with one of their own guides, and it was excellent. She was knowledgeable, and it was nice to be able to ask questions. However, the English language tours start at 11 am and 1 pm so for those people who want to get there when the Memorial opens at 9 am and get out by noon or early afternoon, use of an audio guide is the only way.

Posted by
451 posts

Do you mean another day trip outside of Munich? Because we could all go on and on about things easily reached from Munich as day trips, some more ambitious than others. But I am thinking you meant for the other half day after Dachau.

Definitely plan something quiet and low key, something that you don't mind missing if you decide you just want to sit and reflect.

Posted by
237 posts

Thank you all for the responses. First yes planning on 3-4 hours. Secondly, we are not psychopaths this is just an area of history we all desire to know more about. Finally yes I was talking about to do after our visit, but I would love to hear thoughts on day trips from Munich that you have thought to be worth doing as we have 3 full days to explore. Again many thanks, sorry for the confusion.

Posted by
1552 posts

I don't know your interests. Including Dachau, there should be enough in Munich to cover your three days without travelling too far. Various museums, nice neighbourhoods, parks, castles, https://www.munich.travel/en

Nuremberg and Regensburg are fairly close. If you want a feel for the alps, Garmisch-Partenkirchen can be reached in about an hour: a good town with very good hiking possibilities.
If I had to choose one day trip which required a bit of effort, and if the weather cooperated, I'd probably choose Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee on Lake Chiemsee.