Please sign in to post.

Munich to Amsterdam

First timer to Germany, we're trying to figure out our path from Munich to AMS. We want to explore the castles and vineyards for sure, Black Forest is not a must do but we're in area so why not. Trying to spend at least 2 nights at any stop.

Here's what we're thinking, what would you change?

Day 1 - travel from Munich to Baden Baden, explore the Black Forest and spas
Day 2 - Baden Baden
Day 3 - travel to Bacharach, castles, Cochem and Mosel Valley vineyards
Day 4 - Bacharach, travel to Amsterdam in the afternoon

Thank you for your advice and wisdom!

Posted by
2965 posts

There are direct trains from Munich to Baden-Baden but not many. Otherwise, you must transfer at least once.
There are no direct trains from Baden-Baden to Bacharach but several have only one connection. Make sure you get on one of those.
There are a few trains with one transfer from Bacharach to Amsterdam taking 5h 45m.

Posted by
7569 posts

Keep in mind you are talking a half day on trains for each move, So Bacharach you have, at best, part of an afternoon, and maybe a morning.

If you are interested in Baden Baden for the Spa, then consider just heading right to Bacharach, and then head to Bad Ems, just outside of Koblenz. Bad Ems is an old Spa town and they have a modern Spa with pools, sauna, and steam. Aachen, further North also has a historic Spa. For that matter, if you will be in Munich for several days, take a trip to wonderful Tegernsee, a beautiful town in the foothills just outside Munich, it has a smaller Spa, mostly Sauna and Steam, on the shore of the lake (warning, it is all nude, few non-Germans).

That would give you time to see a castle or two, take a river cruise, get up into the Mosel...but still not much time with only two full days and small portions of two other days.

Posted by
1446 posts

I don't think a day and a half is enough to see sights on both the Rhine and the Mosel. You should pick one and focus on that area. I love them both! Honestly I would skip the black forest then you may have time to see some of both the Rhine and the Mosel.