Please sign in to post.

Munich summer 2019

Hi, my family and I are traveling to Europe in June of 2019. We fly into Prague, will stay a few days then want to take the train to Munich. Wills there we are thinking of renting a car and driving to the small towns to see the castles. We have 2-3 days and then head down to Switzerland to meet up with more family for a week before flying home.

My question is it practical to stay in Munich and just take day trips to see the castles or should we just stay in different locations each day by the castles.

Any help/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by
16186 posts

I am inclined to say rent the car, but it would help to know which castles. Neuschwanstein and ???

And turn in the car in Germany, then take the train into Switzerland.

Posted by
2185 posts

Depends a little bit on where you want to go for "the castles". If daytrip destinations are in opposite directions you can use Munich as a hub. But if you want to do Salzburg, Neuschwanstein and Füssen for example they are connected by scenic German Alpine Road.

So, no general this or that - more a lawyer's "it depends". The good news: At the end both good decisions, especially with long evening daylight hours of June.

For driving a car in Germany ensure that you have accurate driving permit when checked by police or in case of accident. Official regulation by German ministry for traffic (BMVI). This is independent from requirements of rental car firm.

Posted by
6627 posts

"...then want to take the train to Munich. Wills there we are thinking of renting a car and driving to the small towns to see the castles. We have 2-3 days and then head down to Switzerland..."

I don't think it's practical to stay in Munich and do a day trip into the mountains and back. And with only 2-3 days in Munich (plus the fairly long trip from Prague to Munich squeezed in beforehand) I don't think you really have time to do justice to both Munich and the mountains. Munich alone is worth 2-3 days. So are the mountains - Füssen area (presumably for the "castles" - there are actually 3 palaces nearby, including Neuschwanstein, and then the Hohes Schloß right in Füssen as well) + other nearby places (the Wieskirche, the Zugspitze, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Mittenwald, Oberammergau, the Ettal and Benadiktbeuren Monasteries... and more...)

I suggest you delve more closely into the things you want to do in Munich - and in the mountains - and then make a choice, one or the other.

And then if you choose the mountains, you can decide on the car or public transport based on which exact places you want to visit.

Posted by
2394 posts

No sense in visiting Linderhof as a day trip from Munich when you are on your way to Switzerland. Rent a car and drive. As mentioned, turn in your car near the border and take the train into Switzerland.

It sounds like you are interested in more than just one castle.

if so, consider visiting the castle in Meersburg on the Bodensee.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi all, now we are on the fence. We can’t decide on Munich or Salzburg. We have a 10 year old son. Not sure what city we would find more to do in. Are the castles worth the trip?