Please sign in to post.

Munich Starkbierzeit 2018

Greetings,
Has anyone visited Munich for their Starkbierzeit (strong beer festival)? I've looked online at various breweries' websites but do not see any dates listed. Can you buy single tickets or do they only sell in blocks of 10? I know this begins after Lent starts and that the dates vary year to year.
Thank you for any ideas,

Sincerely,
Steve

Posted by
1293 posts

Strarkbier time usually begins when Lent (Fastenzeit) begins. No meat (Catholic), so you have to supplement the diet with “Flüssiges Brot” (liquid bread). In 2018 Fastenzeit begins February 14. I have been to some local Strarkbierfest in my region, but not Munich. Usually it is a good excuse to get really drunk and the 7.5% plus alcohol beer helps. The 2018 Salvator Ausschank” at Paulaner am Nockherberg, Munich Strong Beer Festival will run from Friday, March 2 to Sunday, March 25, 2018. See the first link for details.
http://www.destination-munich.com/munich-strong-beer-festival.html
http://www.muenchen.de/veranstaltungen/events/starkbier.html

Posted by
1482 posts

In the mid 1970's I, a new captain, was at a meeting in Heidelberg with 3 colonels, who were deciding my future. We went to lunch at a local gasthaus that was serving Mönchshof Starkbier for lunch. I followed the conversation carefully until I had to go to the bathroom. The room started dancing around as I tried to walk there. I started thinking about a courts martial rather than a plum job. Luckily, the colonels were also drinking Starkbier. I was given the Comptroller's job at the Army Hospital in Würzburg, maybe the best job of my military career.

Starkbier, especially from Kulmbach, has always held a dear place in my heart. When assigned to Nürnberg, I made a point of celebrating almost any occasion with Mönchshof Bier, Stark when available.

Enjoy yourself but do not over imbibe.

Posted by
67 posts

Thank you both for the feedback and links. This will help my research! Looks like a great way to meet the natives as there aren't many tourist in Munich in March. I went in 2006 and was the only visitor in a few of the museums. Next time I'll go in the summer and revisit the beer gardens.

Prosit