Please sign in to post.

Munich-Salzburg-Lake Constance-Munich

Hello!

Looking for a bit of assistance with our itinerary. 4 of us are traveling in Germany in April, 2024. Appreciative of any insight provided.

Thursday: Fly into Munich in the evening from Ireland- Stay at Munich Cocoon Hauptbahnhof (refundable)
Friday: Munich (NS Dokumentationszentrum and Dachau), overnight at Cocoon Hauptbahnhof (refundable)
Saturday: Day trip to Salzburg, overnight at Cocoon Hauptbahnhof (refundable)
Sunday: Lake Constance (Hotel Moeve?)
Monday: Lake Constance
Tuesday: Lake Constance
Wednesday: Back to Munich for flight out around 4p (nonrefundable)

A few questions I have:

1) Going to Lake Constance on Sunday, am I correct thinking we should keep base at Munich on Saturday or should we just stay in Salzburg and go from there?

2) Anything you really love in Munich that we have to see? Maybe not things in RS book?

3) Based on this itinerary, would you rent a car or travel by train? If you would rent a car, for Sunday to Wednesday?

4) We are planning on 3 nights on Lake Constance. Too little? Too much? We enjoy wine, food, light biking, walking, hiking, adventures/tours, and light history. We will be in Europe for a total of 19 days, so I'm thinking this would be the vacation from the vacation spot.

5) Would you add another stop in on the way to or from Lake Constance (Fuessen, GaP, etc.) or would that be too much to pack in?

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
135 posts

Dia duit

to point 1

Its already a 2hrs drive from Munich to Lindau the nearest town on Lake Constance from there and its would make a 4 hrs drive from Salzburg So I would stay in Munich and go from there to Lake Constance.

By train add half an hour to the driving times each

to point4
2 full days on Lake Constance wouldnt be enough for me I spent a full week and have seen or done everything I wanted to but I guess its enough time to get a good impression Where are you staying? Just for more info to give.

to point 5
I would only add a stop near Füssen and its castles when going by car from Munich
2hrs to Füssen from Munich roughly and 1,5 hrs to Lindau from Füssen and no Autobahn but scenic drive

The times mentioned are all to Lindau add 1hr roughly when staying more westerly in Meersburg for ex

More info when you found accomodation on Lake Constance

Enjoy planning your trip

Posted by
8460 posts

I dont have my map handy, but I would consider going from Munich to the lake first (I assume Lindau) and then going through Salzburg on your way back to Munich (or overnight in Salzburg). I dont like the backtracking involved with day tripping, and a few hours in Salzburg wouldn't be enough for me. Some people like driving, but I always prefer the trains.

Posted by
771 posts

We are planning on 3 nights on Lake Constance. Too little? Too much?

We loved Lake Constance, and think the city of Konstanz itself is a bit of a sleeper. So I definitely think three nights is not too much, and more would not be a stretch. At the very least I suggest one day to visit the Zeppelin Museum and a day to take a ferry back into the Untersee and up the Rhine. Especially recommend at least as far as Stein am Rhein, which is a gorgeous little town.

Posted by
7683 posts

Don't try to see Salzburg on a day trip from Munich. You need 2-3 days there. Research what you want to see, such as Mozart's house, the castle on the hill, the famous cathedral (shown in the Sound of Music Movie). There is much more to do there. Also, consider visiting the Eagle's Nest in nearby Berchtesgaden.

You have very little time planned in Munich, have you researched what there is to see in that wonderful city? You need more time there.

I have been to Lake Constance, it is nice, but suggest you stick to Bavaria with only the few days you have available.

Posted by
2415 posts

Lake Constance - stay in Meersburg. Use a car. train doesn’t go there altho the bus is not bad for a bus. Visit Lake Dweller Museum, Birnau church. bodensee.eu is excellent resource

Posted by
424 posts

It seems inefficient to visit Lake Constance -and- Salzburg.

I might substitute the Berchtesgadener area around Königsee for Lake Constance. It’s really beautiful and there’s a lot to do.

Alternatively, eliminate Salzburg and add Something closer to Switzerland

Posted by
1557 posts

Similar to what Chris says. Stay in Munich until Sunday (lots do see and do, I don't know what is in RS's book)) then choose Salzburg, or Lindau on Lake Constance. Both have direct trains. You don't have the time to enjoy them both.

Lake Constance

Salzburg

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you everyone! If we were to just do Munich and Lake Constance, would it be feasible to do by train/bus/ferry? Is a car necessary to get around to all the recommended things to do on Lake Constance?

Posted by
1557 posts

I don't know your style of travel or which sites you want to see: some will probably be easier to reach by car. I'll veer off slightly from my comments above. I reckon around Meersburg is the best spot for an extended stay. You only have two full days and Lindau can be reached quicker and easier by rail from Munich. If staying in Lindau, spend your arrival day there. It will get dark early. Two good full day options:

1. St Gallen, about an hour away by train, has an attractive old town, a Unesco site (Abbey District), and many museums.
  2. Überlingen and Meersburg (mix of trains and buses). You may obtain a free transport pass with your host. About 1.5 hours to Uberlingen.

If the weather really cooperates, I'd take a ferry ride to Insel Mainau and back. Three hours on the island itself. There won't be much in bloom but it's a great spot regardless.

I wouldn't bother with Bregenz that time of year: nice enough by the water, the town itself not so architecturally old-worldy. For Lake Constance in general, hiking and cycling are big attractions.

Re Salzburg, it is even easier to reach from Munich and can take up all your alloted time. No car required. From a different thread:
From Salzburg, within an hour or so, the Berchtesgaden area: Berchtesgaden village, Bad Reichenhall, Eagle's Nest, Königssee (gorgeous), Ramsau. Add Chiemsee (a fantastic day out), Hallein salt works (plus not a bad little town), St Gilgen and Wolfgangsee, Werfen Castle and ice caves.