Please sign in to post.

Munich Lodging

Will be traveling to Munich in June 2023 with my 2 high school aged sons. Looking for lodging close to the old town that is moderate in price. Open to Hostels as well with Family rooms. We will use Munich as a base for about 3 or 4 days.

Posted by
10 posts

Try the Platzl. Haven't been there for awhile but it was pleasant and affordable. The Eden Wolff is directly across from the hauptbanhof which could be very convenient. It is old but the rooms are large in comparison to many European hotels.

Posted by
2311 posts

When we stayed in Munich with our two teens in 2018, I found it VERY difficult to find family rooms anywhere, especially near the center of Munich. We ended up splurging on two rooms at Hotel Metropol, a block from the train station. It was wonderful. It was not what I would consider moderate in price, but hotels in Munich are very expensive, especially towards the old town.

Posted by
556 posts

"is directly across from the hauptbanhof"

I would avoid this area at the moment because of construction going on. They are working on a brand new Hauptbahnhof.

Posted by
2017 posts

We have stayed at the Hotel am Viktualienmarkt which is very centrally located and they have quad rooms. We are staying there again in a few weeks, this time in a triple.

Posted by
980 posts

I recommend to avoid the area around the main train station due to the construction, but also it's more geared to business travelers and not families on holiday (think about if you would recommend people to stay near the airport in your home city, likely not).

Two rooms at Motel One is always an affordable option. The Sendlinger Tor location is close to city center but the Ost and Haidhausen locations are also in a nice area and close to the Ostbahnhof with connections to Salzburg and areas easy and south of the city. DJH has a youth hostel in Munich that caters to families too, I haven't stayed in this exact one I've found DJH locations to be better than an independent hostel in Germany.

When you say you are using Munich as a base, where are you planning to travel to from Munich? That will help with recommendations.

DJ

Posted by
77 posts

Hello....my sister and I have stayed at Hotel Bayer's on Bayerstraße 13, 80335 München at least six times. It is small, clean, safe, and the staff is welcoming...and within our chosen budget. The hauptbahnhof is a quick, safe, five minute walk. We have also stayed at Cocoon Hauptbahnhof, as well. It, too, is easily accessible, but a bit more expensive.
On our recent visit in August we stayed at Hotel Bayer's...and will again when we visit next summer.
Check it out.