Please sign in to post.

Munich - Ljublana Transport

Looking at transport options from Munich to Ljublana. Any particular reason to prefer the Deutsche Bahn bus over Flixter or vice versa? Comfort, reliability? Right now the price is the same. Or is it a toss up and just go with the best schedule?

There is also a rail connection but it involves a transfer and costs more - is it that much better than the bus it would be worth it?

Posted by
17228 posts

There is also a direct train (no changes) that departs just after noon,marriving around 6:30 pm. Although the train takes longer and costs more, we like the fact that we can get up and move around so will likely take the train.

Posted by
63 posts

We took the train and had a nice layover in Villach to change trains. It was enough time to walk around the town and have lunch. The journey was longer, but we really enjoyed the day.

Posted by
32320 posts

greg,

Taking the direct train from Munich is one of the easiest options, along it's a longer trip (that's the method I used). Unfortunately there was a slight delay on my rail trip, due to an MVI / train collision at the Ljubljana end. The train stopped at one of the outlying (and apparently no longer used) stations, and all passengers had to wait in the rain until they rounded up some Buses to get us to the main rail station. That was certainly one of my "treasured" holiday memories from that trip!

If you don't mind getting an early start, there's a Bus departing from München ZOB (Hackerbrücke) at 07:45, arriving Ljubljana Avtobusna postaja at 12:39 (time 4H:54M, current Saver Fares at €39 PP).

One other method you could look at is the GoOpti Shuttle. That would probably not be as comfortable as the Bus, but would get you there just the same.

Posted by
2450 posts

Looking at transport options from Munich to Ljublana. Any particular reason to prefer the Deutsche Bahn bus over Flixter or vice versa? Comfort, reliability? [...] There is also a rail connection but it involves a transfer and costs more - is it that much better than the bus it would be worth it?

These busses are operated by the Deutsche Bahn and much more comfortable than other low budget busses serving the same line. There is, however, no warranty that it will do the trip within the scheduled time, since is passes through traffic jam prone autobahn legs, namely between Rosenheim and Salzburg and on the Tauernautobahn. The train (one direct train per day, leaving Munich 12:18) should be on time and the ride is much more scenic anyway.

Posted by
258 posts

I agree the direct train would normally be what we'd lean toward but with already firm components of our schedule it would result in one more day in Ljublana (which I don't think is needed) and 1/2 less in Munich, precluding any all day options (Neuschwanstein, for example). So the morning bus the next day from Munich looks like the best option given our schedule.

It would be on a Sunday - I never really had to pay attention in our previous travels if Sunday is any less prone to traffic issues than weekdays. I know people like to get out and about but commercial traffic would be down?

Posted by
27617 posts

I'm nearly certain that early-morning bus is the one I took last August. I don't remember what day of the week it was (odds are good that it wasn't a Sunday), but I'm sure there were no significant delays.