Please sign in to post.

Munich Itinerary

I am thinking of early June for a trip to Munich but I would like to combine that with Vienna by train. I have 8 days, in on the 3rd of June out on the 11th. I am looking for advice on the number of days in each city. I have never been to either so would you spend more time in Munich or Vienna? I chose the train to see the countryside instead of a plane. I would like to arrive and leave from Munich.

Posted by
8440 posts

bbriafford, that's not a lot of time to see two major cities, especially with a full day of travel to get from one to the other, and then another day of travel to get back to Munich. At best, I'd only see both if you were flying into one and out the other (open-jaw), IMO. I think I'd stay in Munich, and include some time in smaller Bavarian towns or Salzburg.

Posted by
20085 posts

Just checking at matrix.itasoftware.com, and it looks like there is no added cost for flying open jaw into Munich and out of Vienna. There are non-stops CLT-MUC, but you can do n-s on the way over and take a connection coming back. Or do the trip the other way and take the n-s coming home.

If you can do this, I'd say 4 nights Munich, 1 night Salzburg (it's on the way), and 3 nights Vienna. I'm giving an extra day in Munich so you can take 1 or 2 day trips from Munich.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank's Sam I have never seen that site before. But some of the layovers are very long. I thought it would be more scenic on the train from Munich to Vienna and if it is an early train would still get there mid day.

Posted by
20085 posts

Nothing wrong with the train journey, just that you will be doing it in both directions. No problem, I've done similar. One thing I have done is to travel to the farthest point of the itinerary on the first day, then work my way back. Your return flight to CLT from MUC is at 12:30 pm or so. You want to be located in Munich that night, because you really need to be at the airport at 9:30 on your departure day. So I would travel all the way to Vienna on the first day.

A train ticket to Vienna bought on arrival will cost a bit more than 100 EUR. You do not want to buy an advance ticket because your inbound flight could be delayed, or a big back-up at immigration, or luggage issues. But there is a way to travel flexibly to Vienna for about half that. Buy a Bayern Ticket at the airport train station for 25 EUR out of a vending machine (or pay 2 EUR more to buy from a human at the window). That will get you to Munich Ost where you change to a Meridian train to Salzburg. Your Bayern Ticket is good all the way to Salzburg. In Salzburg you get the hourly Westbahn train to Vienna Westbahnhof. The cost is 26.50 EUR and you can pay the conductor, no need to stop and buy a ticket first. Have cash, as I'm not sure if they take credit cards on the train.

If that sounds good to you, I can give you more details as to what to do if you are late. There are many options to get you to Vienna by late afternoon.

Posted by
15 posts

The more I am looking at this trip I think I will do Munich-Salzburg instead of Vienna. It looks like a much shorter train trip. So Saturday thru Tuesday in Munich and Tuesday evening to Salzburg Wednesday returning Friday night or Saturday to Munich out Sunday. I looked at flying out of Salzburg and the price is fine but the layovers are way too long.

Posted by
2332 posts

Have cash, as I'm not sure if they take credit cards on the train.

The Westbahn conductors accept Visa- and Mastercards.

Posted by
5261 posts

Myself and a few friends visited Munich in June last year for a long weekend. Our itinerary was relatively simple....

Arrive Friday midday, explored the city centre on foot then hit the beer garden in Englischer Garten for the night.

Saturday, picked up a hire car and drove to Salzburg (make sure you obtain the toll passes for Austria, we didn't!) Spent the day touring the old city, lunch and a few beers in the castle overlooking the Alps. Drove back to Munich for dinner and beers at the Augustiner Keller.

Sunday, leisurely brunch then drove to Starnberger lake for an afternoon of swimming and sunbathing (it was very warm when we were there and the lake was far more preferable to exploring the city in the heat). Returned back to Munich early evening and visited Hirschau beer garden for dinner, more beer and some live music.

Monday, breakfast and then the flight home.

Sure there was lots of beer being drunk but the beer gardens are an experience in themselves and are an intricate part of Munich life. Our visit was very enjoyable and relaxing without the need to try and cram a load of stuff in. Yes, we missed a few sights but you have to have a balance. For me, immersing myself in the culture of somewhere (albeit in a somewhat touristy fashion) is more enjoyable than ticking off a list of so called 'must see's'.