Please sign in to post.

Munich in February!?!?

I’m assuming it will be cold but it is what it is. Anything that I can’t do or that closes in winter? I personally don’t mind the weather. I am going solo (52 yo male). Will I have issues with museums, palaces or the markets being closed? And what day trips do people seem to enjoy the most? I think I’m staying close to the main train station. Does that seem wise? I enjoy my beer so I’ll hit a well known brewery. Any smaller ones or craft breweries recommended? Talk to me.

Posted by
1255 posts

I think it is a great time to visit. February is Fasching time, the build up to Karneval. Start googling Munich events; for instance, the website, Simply Munich, lists February events already. Probably other sites do, too. Krapfen (donuts) will be abundant. As a student in Munich, many moons ago, my impression was that the holidays were one continuous season from Advent, through Christmas, New Year's and then Fasching.

You can easily walk from the station area into Altstadt/Marienplatz.

As to day trips: what do you like? Take your pick - mountains to the south easily accessible by train - Garmisch and Innsbruck; great old towns and cities easily reachable, from Augsburg, Salzburg, Regensburg, and many more.

I think there's lots to enjoy in February. Hmmm, beer - others may know more than me, but there are plenty of places to sample Munich beers in the center to town. You can't miss. Oh, and then there are outdoor places in the English Gardens. Have a good time!

Posted by
558 posts

So glad to see someone else who travels for beer.

Munich is home to a vibrant beer scene, both major breweres and emerging craft breweries. Here is a link to a broad, informative site https://www.munich.travel/en/categories/discover/eat-drink/beer-in-munich. Compared to the US, major breweries dominate the scene in Munich. Craft breweries are less prevalent, but they do offer American craft beers, such as IPAs the simply doen't exisit inside most German breweries. I go the Munich to get away from IPAs, so I don't know where to find one if that's your style.

Regarding travel in February (which I did last year), the only difference for me from summer is the beer garderns are closed. Good new, the restaurants serving those beer gardens remain open. My favorite is Paulaner's location on Nockherberg https://paulaner-nockherberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/2024_Speisekarte_APR_web.pdf.

As for day trips, there are three beer brewing abbies within range of Munich if you want that beer expereince.

Posted by
1312 posts

Cold and wet you can expect, but most everything will be open. It's still getting dark around 5pm, but the town is well lit. If you stay by the train station it's a short walk into the old city center. I've used the Courtyard and the iLoft near the train station for business stays. My favorite pension is now gone, but if you look for one around the University you can often find a bargain. Try to stay near a S or U station and you'll have no problems getting around Munich.

I'm not a fan of the Hofbrauhaus, but there are plenty of options. Augustiner has several places; I prefer the small one by the Hunting and Fishing Museum. G.Schneider & Sohn is really good, a student hangout, near the Marienplatz and across from McDonalds.

Monastery brews from Bavaria are numerous, many of which you can only get at the source. I like the beer, and aperitifs, from Ettal, even though it's fairly touristy.

Posted by
2844 posts

Anything that I can’t do or that closes in winter?

Sitting under trees in an open-air Biergarten and enjoying the day which is for some people part of Bavarian lifestyle.