Please sign in to post.

Munich hotels

I am looking at hotels in Munich near train station seeing come reviews that the area is sketchy red light district. Any ideas of safety? Thanks

Posted by
20937 posts

Any reason you need to be near the Munich Hauptbahnhof?

Posted by
20937 posts

Start up hotel near there

Not sure what you mean by that.

The S8 train from/to the airport also stops at Ostbahnhof, Rosenheimer Platz, Isartor, or Marienplatz, where you you will find less "sketchy" neighborhoods for hotels. The area near the Hbf, is OK, you may just find your hotel next to a strip joint or a gambling establishment. The Hauptbahnhof is currently being rebuilt, so the immediate area is a giant construction site.

Posted by
53 posts

Not a Red Light district at all. Staying by the Hauptbahnhof is very convenient. We have stayed at a nice family run hotel less than 150 yards from the thation.

Check out the Hotel Alfa, and tell Anton that Keith recommended

Posted by
23 posts

I was in Munich last month for 3 days at the start of our trip and an additional 3 days at the end. Both times, we stayed at the Citadines Hotel: https://www.discoverasr.com/en/citadines/germany/citadines-arnulfpark-munich

A tram stop is literally right outside the hotel. Lines 16 and 17 stop here, and they both go to the main train station. It was fast and easy for us to get the train station. Also, the Donnersbergerbrücke S-bahn station is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. Both of the lines from the airport (S1 and S8) stop here. Most of the other S-bahn lines stop there as well. The neighborhood around the hotel is very quiet. It's mainly residential and has a small park nearby. Closer to the S-bahn station, there are major businesses (Salesforce, Google). We took nighttime strolls in the park and always felt safe.

This hotel is designed for long stays. Each unit has a small kitchen (fridge, microwave, cooktop/hob, dishwasher, sink, electric kettle). There are dishes, glassware, silverware, and cooking essentials. We were able to make two dinners and eat at the nicely sized table in our room. Near the S-bahn station is an Edeka grocery store (Erika-Mann-Straße 68), and we went there multiple times. We never purchased the hotel breakfast because we could easily prep stuff in our kitchen. Also, there is a complimentary coffee machine in the lobby. For the quietest room possible, request a top floor room that faces the courtyard.

As for the main train station, the area surrounding it is typical of any major train station. There are people there all hours of the day just hanging about. I did notice that there is a lot of construction going on at the station, so I'm not sure how that affects noise at surrounding hotels.

Posted by
1312 posts

As noted, the Munich Hbf is a construction zone. It has been all summer. The area to the south and west has a large number of hostels, and you can find drugs and alcohol being used on the streets, but other than that it's okay. The walk to the inner city from the Hbf is only 5-10 minutes depending on your pace. I've used the Marriott Courtyard and aLoft for business. I used to frequent a pension up on the north side, but it's gone now.

If you don't want to walk around the Hbf, you don't have to. You can take a Ubahn or Sbahn from right there without leaving the building. If you choose a hotel near one of those stops it's very easy to get around Munich. I suggest you look for a place near attractions you want to visit, and then the location of one of the train/tram stops and stay there.

Posted by
44 posts

This past May we stayed at the Aloft directly across the exit of the train station; we barely heard any noise from the station. We also stayed at the Residence Inn a few blocks away, feeling totally comfortable walking around the area. We did not feel unsafe at all. Just maintain a customary city awareness of what is going on about you.