Please sign in to post.

Munich hotels

What’s the best area to stay in Munich without a car?

Posted by
14499 posts

Hi,

I agree with the suggestions on staying near Munich central station, which is what I do too, ie in a small hotel-Pension. Within 2-5 minute radius of Munich Hbf the hotels range from 2 to 4 star, a wide choice.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Dawn- If you could provide your dates, how much money you have allocated for the hotel, what your hotel show stoppers are, and what do you want to do in Munich, then we could provide more details than
"... near the train station..." . The public transportation in Munich is very good so near the train station is not an absolute.

Posted by
186 posts

While the area around main station might not be the nicest one, it is very convenient: A lot of public transport options and walking distance via pedestrian mall into the inner city / Marieneplatz.

It depends on your plans and wishes if there are better options for you. In general, any hotel with a nearby S-Bahn, U-Bahn or tram station will be fine. E.g. if you are a person that wants to go jogging every morning a hotel near Isar, English Garden would be the right choice.

I personally like the area around Ostbahnhof. Nort-east of Ostbahnhof is Haidhausen a lovely residental area with a lot of smaller shops, restaurants and bars. South-west of Ostbahnhof is the so called Werksviertel, a former industrial site that is being transformed into a trendy urban quarter combining work, living and entertainment.
Some reading about Munich neighbourhoods https://www.munich.travel/en/categories/discover/urban-districts

Posted by
464 posts

We stayed near Marienplatz and near the Isartor station. It was easy to walk to Marienplatz yet also easy to take the train to the Hauptbahnhof. Hotel Torbrau was very welcoming and in a nice area.

Posted by
1225 posts

I think that depends on what you are focusing on. I agree with organizer8 about Hotel Torbräu. I found that area very convenient, really just a few blocks away from Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt. My primary mode of transportation was walking. I did take a day trip to Garmisch and easily walked to the Hauptbahnhof. Both Marienplatz and Isartor are good hubs for the Ubahn. There are bank machines, grocery stores, and eateries, including bakeries, close by, This is an old part of the city that is not as frenetic as the area around the train station.

Posted by
980 posts

Haidhausen is a good alternative to staying near the Hauptbahnhof. It's a nice area with lots of good restaurants and shops plus still easy access to the s-Bahn and u-Bahn. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the Hauptbahnhof area but staying there is like staying near an airport in a major US city, it's mostly geared to business travelers who are just looking for convenience. Transportation connects are good anywhere along the S-Bahn trunk line between Ostbahnhof and Pasing so there is no need to limit your area to near Haptbahnhof.

Posted by
8421 posts

We've stayed in the Viktualienmarkt and Marienplatz area as well. Lots to walk to around there and safe in the evening. The u-bahn makes it easy to get anywhere you need to go.

Posted by
107 posts

We usually stay at The Platzl right by the Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt. Another recommendation which we used with a larger group is the Mercure Alstadt.

Munich is very easy to navigate with the MVV app to utilize public transportation.

Posted by
100 posts

Hi, Dawn.

In years past, I've stayed in at least a half-dozen 3-star hotels sprinkled south of the city's Hauptbahnhof (central station). I had no show-stopper issues with any of them during my stays; I'd already assessed reviews in both German and English before making reservations.

During my last trip to Munich, I decided to go a little north from Hauptbahnhof and into the Maxvorstadt. I stayed at the Hotel Antares, located between the Pinakotheken tram stop and Universität U-Bahn station. I had a perfectly comfortable stay within a quiet block; I also had a very tasty dinner at the Viet-Thai Bistro restaurant across the street from the hotel.

Posted by
3948 posts

We have stayed in various hotels near the Hauptbahnhof over the years and also the Isortor Hotel. Our preference for the past 10 years has been thenMotel One location by Sendlingentor. There is an S-bahn stop a minute from the door. The Marienplatz area is a 5-10 minute walk up the pedestrian street with the Viktualienmarkt along the way. We love this location.