Please sign in to post.

Munich Hotels

Senior traveler. Staying for three nights. I am looking for feedback on a *3 star hotel that is priced under 140 euros. Arriving late evening via train. Hoping to find a hotel close by. Or should I take a taxi to another area better suited for getting around Munich?

Posted by
5579 posts

I really liked Hotel Uhland, about 15 minutes walking from the train station in a quiet, residential area. It's formerly a mansion. It has about 10 rooms, I think, and they serve a very wonderful breakfast. It is spotless! It's actually very close to the Octoberfest grounds with a metro close by. I'm not sure it'd be under 140 depending on the time of year you visit. The stars in Europe are a different system than what we are familiar with in the U.S. It doesn't show so much how nice/luxurious it is, it is more a count of specific features that you may or may not care about. If you are arriving late in the evening it might be easier to take a cab if you stay at Uhland. It's close so it should be a cheap ride. I also know that there are several U.S. chain hotels close to the train station, but I have no experience with those. The train station is quite close to the places that you probably want to see. Depending on your mobility and how much you like to be in the "middle" of things, you could look at the Marienplatz area, which would be even closer (and probably more expensive).

Posted by
32198 posts

I would also highly recommend Hotel Uhland although it's a bit of a walk from the station area. If you'd prefer to be close to the station and within easy walking distance to Marienplatz and other sights, you might have a look at Hotel Royal. The street where the hotel is located is a bit "colourful" but that doesn't bother me in the least, as the hotel itself is excellent (great breakfasts!).

One point to mention though.... as I recall they don't have A/C. I've always managed just fine with only a fan. They do have an elevator.

Posted by
980 posts

Senior traveler. Staying for three nights. I am looking for feedback on a *3 star hotel that is priced under 140 euros. Arriving late evening via train. Hoping to find a hotel close by. Or should I take a taxi to another area better suited for getting around Munich?

Hotel Uhland is nice but with only three nights and the first one being a late arrival I'd recommend something more central along the main S-Bahn trunk line between Haptbahnhof and Ostbahnhof. You'l save time getting to and from the hotel everyday.

First, I would steer you away from places near the Hauptbahnhof if possible. There is nothing wrong with the Hauptbahnhof area but staying there is like staying near an airport in a major US city, it's mostly geared to business travelers who are just looking for convenience. Most people don't want to stay near the airport when on holiday.

My recommendation for a city center hotel is always Motel One Sendlinger Tor. It is only one U-Bahn stop away from the Hauptbahnhof and has easy access to the city center. It is tough to beat the value for money here. Others will chime in with good recommendations near Viktualienmarkt.

If Motel One is full and you can't find another centrally located hotel I'd recommend to look at hotels near the S-Bahn stops at Isartor, Rosenheimerplatz and Ostbahnhof. These are all much nicer areas than the Hauptbahnhof area.

Where are you arriving from? If you train stops at Ostbahnhof first it might be worth while to get off the train there and change to the SBahn to get to a hotel.

DJ

Posted by
19963 posts

The Munich City Center Holiday Inn can be accessed directly for the Rosenheimer Platz S-Bahn station. Modern, great breakfast. They are right at your price unless there is some kind of event going on in Munich.

Posted by
8938 posts

I am a Motel One fan. Comfy beds, great showers, good AC, and a decent breakfast buffet at a low price.

Posted by
5579 posts

I usually try to stay at more local inns, BUT, out of necessity, we stayed at a Motel One in Basel. It was pretty contemporary, but was very comfortable and fresh clean. The staff was wonderful. We thought it was a good stay and if/when the opportunity presents, we would stay at a Motel One again. The name tends to make me think of a Super 8 and similar which it definitely is NOT.

Posted by
1999 posts

I really like Pension Lindner. It is in the Marianplatz area, very close to the station there. We stayed for 5 nights and had two rooms (there were 4 of us traveling together). Both of our rooms were specious and very well kept. Plenty of room for our luggage and to move around. The host was wonderful and her breakfast spread (included in the room rate) was wonderful! I highly recommend it and if we get the chance to visit again, I would book it without even looking at other places. It is well within your budget too.

Posted by
107 posts

My wife and I have been to Munich many times. Last year we stayed at the Mercure München Altstadt which is very centrally located. We had our 19 and 21 year old sons with us. Great location and most importantly during last years heat wave, they had air conditioning!

A couple tips which have probably been repeated elsewhere: take advantage of the awesome Munich travel app to plan your routes. Info here: https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/journey-planer/mobile-services/mvv-app/mvv-app/index.html

If you are traveling with a family, the Group Day Ticket is a steal! Info here: https://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/tickets-and-fares/tickets-daytickets/group-day-ticket/index.html