Please sign in to post.

Munich Hotel Recommendations??

Next June's Germany and Austria trip, starts May 31 when I fly in to Munich and ends June 24. I'm starting to book refundable single rooms for my solo independent nights. I'm booking direct with the hotels, which worked good this year.

I am comfortable with my itinerary and plane tickets are bought RT Munich. Itinerary is 3 nights Munich, 1 independent night at RS Berlin tour hotel before joining RS Berlin/Prague/Vienna tour, 4 nights Vienna, 3 nights Salzburg, 2 nights Munich. This will not change,

I've narrowed down my Munch hotel choices to (all are near Viktualienmarkt). Dates are May 31-June 4 and June 22-24.
Hotel Schlicker:
3-night stay €399 single room, breakfast included, A/C
2-night stay €264 single room, breakfast included, A/C
Hotel am Markt:
3-night stay €297 single room, no breakfast, no A/C
2-night stay €290 double room, single not available, no breakfast, no A/C
Hotel Lux:
3-night stay €287 single room, no breakfast (available @ €13/day), no A/C
2-night stay €258 single room, no breakfast (available @ €13/day), no A/C
Using the search feature, I see that Hotel Torbräu was recommended in the past but it is out of my solo budget.

I'd appreciate yeas and nays about my choices. As always, thanks for your help.

Posted by
330 posts

My husband and I just stayed at the Hotel am Markt for 3 nights in mid-October. We had a large, comfortable corner room with a balcony overlooking the Viktualienmarkt. Pros: charming location close to Marienplatz, convenient to sites, restaurants, local transit and main train station. Cons: numerous church bells rang at odd intervals throughout the day from 7:00 am to 9:30 pm. That was OK, I like bells, it was the truck (sanitation? delivery?) that came through the market at 5:00 am every morning that woke me up. My husband slept through it. Perhaps the rooms on the back side of the hotel are quieter.

Posted by
7029 posts

I stayed at the Hotel Am Markt a few years ago in a single room. I loved the location and never had any problem with noise but maybe my room wasn't overlooking the viktualienmarkt - I actually don't remember where the room was but I know I was happy with it. Unless it's changed they do have a restaurant and breakfast was available for an additional charge which I didn't partake of because I prefer to eat breakfast away from hotels - usually better and costs less. I have recommended it to others several times.

Posted by
3951 posts

This isn’t the information your asking, I know. For the past 15+ years we’ve only been staying at Motel One Sendlingertor. It’s a short stroll to the Marienplatz and around the corner from great transportation stops. Their single rooms will be about 100€ per night with breakfast and AC. They don’t seem to have any bookings past early January loaded on their website yet. Whatever you choose, I suggest you book the late June hotel with AC, you never know any more.

Posted by
3226 posts

FWIW, we are going to Munich for 4 nts in April and staying at the Hotel Am Markt, so I can’t report on it yet. It does seem to have many recommendations on this forum.

Posted by
2731 posts

Thanks everyone. Based on your responses and reviews, I decided to stay at Hotel am Markt the first three days and Hotel Schlicker the last two.

Mona, I looked at Motel One Sendlingertor but it didn't help that their booking calendar doesn't extend to June. I'm taking your A/C recommendation just in case another heat wave sweeps through Germany in late June. I'm used to heat but want to keep windows closed to block some of the noise.

Posted by
1481 posts

@horsewoofie,

I was in Munich in mid-May this year and chose a hotel without air conditioning. It was 90 degrees during the day. It was miserable. Good idea about the air conditioning.

Posted by
2731 posts

vandrabrud, that had to set a record! Ugh! Just slightly cooler that Phoenix!

Posted by
3951 posts

Hope this doesn’t border on harassment 😂 but I emailed Motel One this AM because I was surprised to see that they weren’t doing bookings beyond January 2023. This is the response I got back:

“Our prices are still not confirmed for next year but we believe on the next week it will already be possible to book online.

It is already possible to make a reservation for you via e-mail.”

Posted by
2731 posts

Mona, kind information is never harassment. Thank you for checking.
I made my reservations BUT I'm rethinking Hotel Schlicker. Their reservation website says free cancellation up to the day before date. Their confirmation says free cancellation is before 30 days before date. That means I would have to cancel before my trip starts. That is not a go. Too many things can happen while on the trip. And I don't like that they won't stand behind their reservation website.

EDIT: I cancelled Hotel Schlicker. So I'm back to looking for a Munich hotel for two nights at the end of my trip.

Posted by
464 posts

We liked staying at Hotel Torbrau which is an easy walk to Marienplatz and is near the S Bahn. We got off at the Isartor station, exited to ground level at VictualMarket - Tal Street and were within sight of Hotel Torbrau. It is an historic hotel and has a wonderful breakfast. We also were given a 10% off coupon to use at their Schapeau restaurant where we had a great dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful. You can see photos on www.tripadvisor.com and look at Booking.com or Hotels.com as well.

Posted by
2731 posts

Organizer8, thanks for the suggestion. Although Hotel Torbrau looks lovely, it’s too costly for this solo traveler. June 22-24 is over €250/night.
I think I’ll follow Mona’s suggestion for Motel One or similar and look at staying closer to the train station since all three days involve a train: in, day trip, out.

Posted by
6310 posts

I can't speak for the particular Motel One that Mona is referring to, but I stayed at a Motel One in Berlin and thought it was a great stay for the price. Rooms are clean and compact and modern in design but not sparse by any means. The staff was pleasant and helpful and if you join their rewards program, you get a free breakfast, which was very nice.

Posted by
1 posts

Thanks for sharing your recs, guys. You made me remember how my wife and I stayed at Motel One. It was our first trip together, you know. We often talked about going to Munich so one day I bought the tickets and we went there. The thing I wish I had done in advance was book a hotel. I was lucky because they had rooms available at Motel One. Anyway, it was a nice trip. We drank some beer and ate sausages there (we really dreamed of it). So, yeah, it was worth it. Now we mostly stay at the ibis hotel near me. As I understand, it’s like Motel One, but ibis has better and more expensive hotels worldwide. Anyway, hope your trip went well. Let’s keep this thread updated, guys. When was your last trip to Munich?

Posted by
2021 posts

horsewoofie--I don't know if you have booked or to yet, but we just stayed at the Hotel Lux last month. Loved it!!! We had a triple room and even with 3 of us, there was plenty of room for luggage etc and we were not tripping over each other. The bar where you check in has an amazing cocktail list, and I am not much of a drinker at all. Their breakfast is made to order and very good. The ladies that run it are super nice. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, FWIW. We also stayed one night at Hotel am Viktualienmarkt, which is different than the similar sounding one mentioned above. We have stayed there on a previous trip, so knew what to expect. It is a block from the market, our triple room was again very spacious, and it included breakfast. The breakfast is just ok, nothing great as it is a typical buffet, but it does the job. The staff are very nice here as well, and when we checked in early, they hurried to get our room ready and we only had to wait about 10 minutes. It is old school in one way though as they still use actual metal keys and key rings.

Posted by
556 posts

@mikliz97
Sorry has nothing to do with the topic but .... Both Hotels you've mentioned I've visited already because of their staircase. A must have for staircase photographers like me :-)

Posted by
2021 posts

Mignon--The Hotel Lux staircase was so interesting! It made the climbs up not so bad, lol. We did not take the stairs at the other one, so am curious now!