Please sign in to post.

Munich - Fussen - Salzburg

Hi. We were thinking to rent a car in Munich and drive into Bavaria to see the castles/Zugspitze over a couple of days (3 nights Fussen), then heading onto Salzburg.

I've learned through these Forums that we don't want to return our car to Salzburg (the cost of dropping it off in another country). Obviously, I'll double-check that, but wondering if the best thing to do is drive back to Munich, return the car, and then train to Salzburg?

Thanks for any guidance.

Cheers

Posted by
1163 posts

On one of our drives through Germany, we dropped our car in Freilassing, Germany. Same country as pickup.

You can take a 5 minute taxi ride into Salzburg.

Posted by
6590 posts

Hi. We were thinking to rent a car in Munich and drive into Bavaria...

Once you're in Munich, you're already in Bavaria; most of Bavaria is to the north of Munich, in fact... see map.

The cost of dropping it off in another country...

If cost matters, the foreign drop-off fee is significant, but also significant is a basic car rental with gas + insurance + parking and driving incidentals.

A Munich > Füssen > Salzburg > Munich train trip for two, by comparison, can be done for roughly €100 total (Bayern Ticket Day Pass, €34/day x 3 days... roughly 1/5 of what your car trip will cost, even if you drop it back in Munich.)

Bayern Ticket information

Posted by
19052 posts

If you drop your car in Freilassing, there is not need for a bus. Bus 24 of the Salzburger Transit District runs down Münchnerstr. in Freilassing with a stop near the Sixt auto rental office and right at the intersection where the EuropeCar rental office is located. From there is goes into Ferdinand-Hanusch-Platz near the old town in Salzburg. The bus runs every half hour.

But, if you can drop the car in Munich vs Freilassing and save money, I would do it. There is nothing spectacular about the AuroBahn to Salzburg, and it is often congested. Better maybe to take the train from Munich Hbf to Salzburg with a Bayern-Ticket.

Posted by
5 posts

I'm doing something similar but renting a car for the whole trip. Picking up a BMW Z4 at Munich train station for the drive to Salzburg with a stop at Chiemsee. Salzburg for 2 days with a day trip to Berchtesgaden and Konigssee then driving the German Alpine Road to Fussen for 2 days for the castles. Driving back to Munich with a stop at the Wieskirche church then the Andeches Monastery for some of their delicious beer before returning the car to Munich Central Station. There are so many interesting places to visit in the Alps that I felt the trains would not offer me the freedom to do my own thing at my own pace. Hope you have a great time.