Please sign in to post.

Munich day trips

Hello,
I will be in Munich over the Christmas holidays and interested in taking a few day trips. Besides Innsbruck and Nuremberg, any recommendations?
We will be traveling by train.
Thanks,
BT

Posted by
8124 posts

Salzburg is 2 hrs. by train. It's worthy of more than just a few hours, however.

Posted by
20017 posts

Salzburg, Augsburg, Regensburg. All doable with Bayern ticket or other local transport tickets.

Posted by
7025 posts

Regensburg and Passau were both worthwhile as a day trip for me. I did both in one day but if I had it to do over I would spend a whole day in Regensburg.

Posted by
1580 posts

Will - You can also take the opportunity to visit the wonderful medieval German town of Rothenburg from Munich. Other notable towns worth visiting from Munich are Augsburg, Ingolstadt, Würzburg, Landsberg am Lech, Bamberg, and Berchtesgaden. All these towns are not far from Munich so you will have plenty to choose from.

Posted by
2394 posts

Rothenburg and Bamberg are not good candidates for day trips, especially in December when it gets dark so early.

Ulm is a possibility

Posted by
14499 posts

Hi,

I would suggest Ingolstadt and Ulm too. What is your max radius from Munich? Any specific historical interest?

Posted by
23 posts

100% recommend visiting Landshut. Beautiful town that is mostly tourist free and very close to Munich.

Posted by
1548 posts

To repeat what Fred asked you - What is your max radius from Munich, or how much time are you willing to spend travelling? Not this thread in particular, but I've seen suggested day trips which take upwards of four hours or more one way. Keep in mind that cheap train fare starts after 9:00am ( I stand to be corrected)