Please sign in to post.

Munich day trips

My husband and I are visiting Germany and Italy early December. We will be staying in Munich for 3 days. We are looking for suggestions for day trips, especially with great Christmas markets. Any suggestions would be great.

Posted by
19092 posts

You're visiting in early December, but you post in mid-December? Haven't you already been there? A lot of Christmas markets end before Christmas day.

Munich has a Christmas market. Nürnberg is a short train ride away and has one of the most famous Christmas markets.

Posted by
485 posts

There's the big Christmas market right in the Marienplatz downtown Munich; there's a more unique market that we love to go to that's in the Schwabbing district and features more 'artsy' vendors from all over Europe; really interesting items that you won't find in your typical Christmas markets.

Posted by
7 posts

I also second Lee's suggestion about Nürnberg. Not only is it a very historical city, but the Christmas Market is fantastic. I have stayed in the Dresden area for business for many years and have enjoyed the Strieselmarkt there (the longest running one in Germany at 575 years or so), but the Nürnberg one is much larger. Good luck!
-AB

Posted by
16893 posts

A daytrip to Salzburg is popular at any time of year, but travel time is longer to Salzburg (1.5-1.75 hours each way) versus Nürnberg (only one hour).

Posted by
124 posts

Thank you for your information. I am going next December and working on the trip now.