Please sign in to post.

Munich day trips

Here is my tentative plan, but I have never been to Germany, so I need to know what is feasible, please.

Day 1 - leave Rothenburg, by car, stop in Ingolstadt for a couple hours, then arrive in Munich and drop off car.
Day 2,3,4 will be in Munich. Will want at least one full day in Munich.
Day trips - Dachau (a must).
Brewery (worth it?) Considering Andechs Monastery vs Freising. Yes, we love beer! Or should we just hang out in beer gardens?
Landshut? Is there much difference between other old German towns?
Garmish - I would love to be in the mountains (live in Florida) but can I experience it in a day trip?
Day 5 - I have an early flight out to Verona.

I would like to see as many different sites as possible, prefer culture, history, and nature, not as much arts.

Any and all ideas will be welcome!

Charlotte

Edit- early May

Posted by
12040 posts

RE- Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Yes, even a day trip can give you a good Alpine experience. But don't try to plan the day in advanced. Enjoyment of the Alps usually depends on good weather, and you can't predict this more than a few days out. Check the short-term weather forecast when you get to Munich, and head south on the first day that seems to offer a reasonable guarantee of good conditions.

I really like Landshut and I think it's one of the under-rated highlights of Bavaria. It has a very different feel and look from Rothenburg, which is culturally closer to Mitteldeutschland. Landshut has more of the colorful Baroque typical of southern Bavaria and Austria. Burg Trausnitz is a pretty cool castle, although they don't offer tours in English. The surrounding parkland up on the hill is also very pleasent, there's even a very small zoo (mostly domestic animals, and free of charge). However, the town doesn't take very long to see. With only 3 days to choose from, I would probably prioritize the Alps and other stuff in Munich.

Posted by
635 posts

For a brewery, Andechs will give you easy access from Munich, wonderful scenery, history, and other pleasant activities on your day trip.

Take the S8 train southwest from Munich to the end of the line at Herrsching. Take Bus 951 (or hike about three miles up into the forested hills) to Kloster Andechs, where the Benedictine monks have been brewing beer since the 15th Century.

Return to Herrsching, and walk to the pier on the lakefront. Take one of the elegant paddle-wheel ships across the scenic Ammersee to the authentic, untouristed lakeside town of Dießen am Ammersee. Wallk through Dießen to the ornate Marienmünster abbey (1732) that overlooks the town, then return to Herrsching by ship.

Photos here.

Posted by
338 posts

Munich has a lot of sites/museums/palaces/chuches/public spaces, etc. You will easily be able to fill a day with a sampling of them.

Dachau will be your easiest day trip. It will take about a half day round trip for a visit from Munich.

Garmish is also easily doable as a day trip. It will require a full day by the time you explore, go hiking and head to the top of the Zugspitze. Partnach Gorge is a popular easy and short hike. There are plenty of other trails in the area and plenty of other things to do.

You will be close to Neuschwanstein Castle which is a very popular site. You may want to consider a visit.

Fitting in a brewery visit may be tough. If you are unable to work one in, you'll still have have the option of beer gardens, restuarants, and tourist spots (e.g. Hopfbrauhaus) to sample the local brews since they'll be open later into the evening.

Have fun!

Posted by
1232 posts

Thanks all! I think I will concentrate more on Munich, with trips to Dachau and Garmish. Those would be the most unique experiences, IMO. I have been to breweries before so drinking in Munich will be just fine!

Posted by
19092 posts

Rothenburg to Munich:
It's 3 hr 23min and 28€ for a Bayern-Ticket for 2 by train vs 3hr 9min and costs just under 30€ for fuel (ViaMichelin, then there is the cost of a car rental for a day. Consider dumping the car before you get to Rothenburg.
Munich:
Not sure why you want to stay in Munich when most of your interests are outside Munich. Big cities are not the least expensive options. Think about staying outside Munich (Freising?) and commuting into Dachau for a day.
Munich to Verona:
By the time you go out to the Munich airport, go through the usual hassle of checking in, security, pre-board time, you will probably invest 5-6 hours and spend ??. With advance purchase you can take a day train to Verona in 5½ hours for as little as 29€/per.