Please sign in to post.

Munich Christmas Markets -- December 2019

Does anyone have any advice on what are the best Christkindlmarkts in Munich? And, which are best avoided? I have heard there are many in the city, and have about two days of free time. Thanks!

Posted by
1481 posts

As always it depends.

Marienplatz is the Christkindlmarkt. It is large and packed in the evenings. We liked it for shopping in the afternoon. In the evening three of us had trouble staying together for the crowds.

I liked the community market at Haidhausen. Mothers with their carriages and folks from a senior home were well presented during the day. For shopping it was not much but the atmosphere was welcoming.

The Medieval Market was a worthwhile novelty.

We liked the craft market at Schwabbing. They were featuring a reggae band the evening that we were there. If you are looking for the Classic Christmas spirit, it may or not be the place for you.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your response. I had feared what you said would be true. That the Marienplatz market would be overrun at night. Unfortunately, our hotel is right there, so it would be so convenient!

I have read (and saw a YouTube vid) that there is a Christmas market in the English Garden, near the Chinese Tower. It seems like a festive location. Had anyone visited that one? Is it worth a look?

I also saw a video of the medieval market that you mention. It sounds interesting (and different, like Christmas cosplay), and I will have to give that a try. Thanks!

Posted by
1226 posts

I enjoy the Medieval market and the Viktualienmarkt - which is always a market but has lots of Christmasy things in December.

Posted by
967 posts

I like the market at the Residence because there's often live music. During the day the medieval market was very quiet. The markets get most crowded late afternoon when the local, after work crowd appears. If you are there on a weekday, try to get any serious shopping done during the day, when crowds are much more manageable. If you can't avoid being there when it's crowded, just try to think of it as "festive!"