Please sign in to post.

Munich Airport to Salzburg by train

What is the best way to travel to Salzburg from the Munich airport? I arrive at 10:45 a.m. in Munich and need to meet my daughter in Salzburg. The private cars are VERY expensive. Is it complicated to take the train from the airport to Salzburg? Any tips? I do not speak German.

Posted by
251 posts

I did this trip a few years ago and took the train. I can't remember how long the trip was or the exact route, but I do remember it was relatively easy to figure out. I did some research beforehand and bought my ticket upon arrival. I speak a little German but everyone I talked to spoke English, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I found a link to a past post that may help you out :)

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/germany/munich-airport-to-salzburg-2b5415b7-7876-4281-ad89-2a725105c02a

Posted by
20253 posts

Not complicated at all. Go to the airport train station (follow the "train" icons). Buy a Bayern Ticket for 25 EUR for a single person from a ticket machine (my assumption you are traveling alone). If you buy at the ticket window, the cost is 27 EUR. Take the next S-8 to Munich Ost station (every 20 minutes) and get the next Meridian train to Salzburg. They go at 4 past the hour and your Bayern Ticket is valid for only the Meridian train.

Posted by
19110 posts

One word of caution. At the airport S-Bahn station, the S1 will say "destination Ostbahnhof" (East Station), because that is where it terminates after going into Munich on the west side and all the way through town to Ost, but don't let that confuse you. The S8 will give a destination of Herrsching or Weßling, far west of downtown, but that's where it terminates. It comes into the downtown area, on it's way to it's final destination, at Ostbahnhof and gets to Ost faster than does the S1. Take the S8 regardless of what the destination says.