Please sign in to post.

Munich Airport Hotel

We found great round-trip tickets in and out Munich so we are building our family vacation (May 25 through June 7) around that beginning and end. We are planning to return to Munich the day before our 10:00 am flight home. There are four of us, including our two sons, who will be 18 and 13. Any suggestions for a hotel with convenient access to the airport would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

Posted by
980 posts

Any hotels along the S1/S8 SBahn lines from the city center to the airport will have easy access. Personally I like to stay near Rosenheimer Platz or Ostbahnhof the night before I fly out. Lots of hotels to choose from in that area.

DJ

Posted by
850 posts

It' s a short train (subway) ride to the center of Munich from the airport. You're flight is at 10, you don't need to stay right there unless you want to. I'd stay in town, and go out the night before and enjoy myself. You can easily get checked out by 7:30 and make your flight if you stay near the Bahnhof.

On arrival in Munich, after you get your bags you walk out the doors, across the open area, and into the train station (reverse when departing). That makes everything convenient to the airport.

If you get in and have the whole day you're going to want to stay somewhere you can get out and do something. Just sitting around in a hotel is boring.

Posted by
19092 posts

Twice, when I've had a morning flight out of Munich, I've stayed in Freising. Here is an English language listing of accommodations in Freising. It's a 20 minute bus ride from Freising Bahnhof's bus station to the airport in the morning. In Freising is Weihenstephen, the oldest operating brewery in the world. On your last evening you can sit under the trees in the Biergarten and enjoy good beer and your last real German food before you leave.

Posted by
2327 posts

. You can easily get checked out by 7:30 and make your flight if you stay near the Bahnhof.

That could be a bit risky for a 10am flight. Check-out at 7:30 means arriving one hour later at the check-in desk. Most airlines require you to be there at least two hours before departure, and the airport even recommends three hours for flights to the US. That may be exaggerated in many cases, but not on peak days, as I have experienced several times. As suggested by others above, I would stay in Freising or Erding or somewhere nearby to avoid possible problems with the S-Bahn. Some hotels also offer an airport transfer. For my next trip in four weeks (departs too early than I can reach it by train from my home) I booked a room with transfer at the Airporthotel Regent in Halbergmoos (single € 70 with transfer).

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to all who have responded. I am making good use of the information provided.

Keith