Please sign in to post.

Mittenwald

Hello

We are a family of 3 (me, my wife and brother - aged in the 28-33 years) heading to europe for first time in two weeks.
We have planned for 11 days in Bavaria and Salzburg and have finalised as under:

4 nights in Munich - including a day trip to Nuremberg.
2 nights in berchtesgaden
1 night in salzburg - (still confused if we should stay an extra night and explore - St. Wolfgang or Hallstatt) - see question below
After Salzburg we plan to go to Mittenwald for the rest of our trip - 3 nights
End with one night in Lindau (we will miss out on Lindau if we choose an extra night in Salzburg for St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt day trip)

So my questions are:

1. Which should we prefer one night in Lindau or an extra day to visit St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt OR ignore both and stay an extra night in mittenwald i.e. 4 nights instead of 3 and then head back to Munich from Mittenwald
  2. Can you recommend any places to stay in Mittenwald? We are on a tight budget and would prefer a no frills accommodation that does not compromise on cleanliness
  3. How easy is it to navigate around Mittenwald using public transportation?
  4. What are the must do sights in Mittenwald. We love mother nature and would love to avoid the crowds; though I'm sure this will be tough in the high season.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charles and family.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Charles- you do realize that Salzburg is only 30 minutes or so from Berchtesgaden and there is easy public transportation between the two... so you might not want to spend the 1/2 day moving from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg, especially if you want to avoid crowds...just do a day trip from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg,

Have a great vacation!!!

Posted by
1293 posts

A walk around the Lautrersee in Mittenwald is nice. There are two lifts the Kranzberg Sesselift and the Karwendelbahn. We once took the Kranzberg Sesselift up, then walked down and around the Lautrersee. The Lautersee-Alm is a nice place to stop for a drink.

My opinion is Mittenwald is small enough that you don't need public transportation. I never used public transportation in Mittenwald so I can't say how it is. Tourism has exploded in Mittenwald in the last 10 years too.

http://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/karwendel/

This is a good interactive site for hiking. Click on the hike, then the map to expand or the top 10> http://www.outdooractive.com/de/gemeinde/deutschland/bayern/landkreis-garmisch-partenkirchen/mittenwald/1035985/

Posted by
2908 posts

Berchtesgaden and Salzburg are too close together to split your stays. Stay in 1 location for both. We've stayed 18 nights just outside of Berchtesgaden and are heading back this fall. Love the area.

www.mayringerlehen.de
www.friedwiese.de/enska/isl.htm

Never been to Lindau, but don't care for 1 night stays. I would do the extra night in Salzburg/Berchtesgaden just to add a day on/around the Wolfgangsee.

The place we stayed twice in Mittenwald is clean and basic with fantastic views:
www.schwalbennestl.de

Mittenwald is small. The Karwendelbahn cable car in Mittenwald is terrific.

Paul

Posted by
57 posts

I agree with previous answers, i.e., get to Berchtesgaden from Salzburg by bus. The World War II sites in Berchtesgaden will take half a day--including the bus to the eagle's nest, so it would be better to spend more time in Salzburg where there are many, many things to see and do. Check out day trips to either Melk or Admont Abby. And the salt mines. Mittenwald is a small town, walkable, and probably the quaintest place in Bavaria. Try the Gasthaus Stein--the daughter of the owner went to university in Texas--for great German grill food. Und bier. I would skip Hallstatt unless you love being a member of a mob of tourists (it is beautiful but very busy). Try the spa at Erding near the Munich airport or a visit to the concentration camp at Dachau. Have a great trip.