Please sign in to post.

May/June 2019 Germany Itinerary. Objective opinions please.

Thanks in advance for reviewing the 1st draft of our itinerary. We will be traveling with our 2 17 year old twin daughters.

May 28 - Arrive in Paris around 1:00 Rest
May 29 - Paris
May 30 - Paris
May 31 - Paris
June 1 - Train to Cochem
June 2 - Hang out in Cochem maybe see Burg Eltz
June 3 - St. Goar
June 4 - Leave for Heidelberg - visit Family and Friends
June 5 - Heidelberg
June 6 - Heidelberg - Maybe a day trip
June 7 - Stuttgart to visit family/or stay in Heidelberg
June 8 - Travel to Munich
June 9 - Munich - Maybe a walking tour ( I have been here and do not care to stay in Munich long)
June 10 - Maybe go to Salzburg?
June 11 - Fussen (stay the night)
June 12 - Fussen
June 13 - Back to Heidelberg
June 14 - Early train back to Paris/Fly home late afternoon

Thanks for all the positive feedback and constructive comments. Sometimes it is so helpful for others to objectively look at something and see if with fresh eyes. Cjean made a good point that I should probably clarify. We are leaving our daughters with family and friends back in Heidelberg and they will be staying there for another week or so. Yes, we already bought our tickets because we got such a good deal and this is the girls high school graduation present, and we are on a budget, the Paris flight was the best. Thanks, good insight and comments.

Posted by
4761 posts

Just a couple of thoughts. Is there a particular reason why you are going back to Heidelberg on the 13th, other than to break up the return trip to Paris? And is there a reason why you are going all the way back to Paris just to fly home? If you haven't bought your tickets yet, look at an open jaw (multicity) ticket into Paris and out of Munich (or Frankfurt) instead. That way you don't waste time and money backtracking to Paris.

Posted by
28 posts

CJean, thanks. Yes, we are leaving our daughters with friends/family in Heidelberg where they are staying for another week or so. Yes, we already bought our tickets, since we are on a budget and this is the girls present for their high school graduation, it was the best deal and a good deal too. So that is the reasoning. Thank you, so appreciate your input.

Posted by
2090 posts

Just asking myself after reading "girls present for their high school graduation". The list contains very classic destinations which might interest young ladies less than going shopping, watching street art, go clubbing or hanging out in cool areas (nothing against Cochem for example) - but I actually do not know the preferences of your daughters.

I also miss the mode of traveling between destinations in that list. Public transport (bus, train) or rental car?

In general the ratio between traveling and experiencing is very much on traveling. If you like that, it is OK.

Posted by
28 posts

Hi MarkK,

Yes, when in Heidelberg, young relatives are going to take them to some concerts and clubbing. No they really aren't "shopping" girls, and don't care about fashion or the latest trends, more adventurous and interested in culture, museums, books, reading, people watching. Some of the mode of transportation will be car by family and some train. So there is a mix. They are very much interested in seeing old castles but yet want to experience some young activities which as I mentioned, family members there age in Germany will be taking them to. Great points. So helpful. Thank you.

Posted by
14482 posts

I would suggest in going back to Paris to stay the night before in Frankfurt, (I stay close to Frankfurt Hbf), then take the early train Frankfurt to Paris Est. You'll be back in Paris before noon, or take the afternoon train to be back in Paris by 5 pm. Then you can stay that night at CDG.

I always stay the last night at CDG when my flight is the next morning to SFO since the ticket is r/t SFO to Paris.

Posted by
8934 posts

Why are you going to Munich if you have no interest in seeing anything there? Just skip it. The maybes are puzzling to me. Either you want to see a place or not. If it is only a maybe, go someplace that is a oh yes please, instead. If you aren't sure about Burg Eltz or Salzburg, there are so many other places you could visit. Go to Burg Rheinfels or head down the Mosel to Trier.

What kind of things are you interested in seeing.

Never take a train from far away on your departure day. Stay overnight in Paris.

Posted by
28 posts

Ms. Jo I had Munich on the list because the girls and my husband have never been and expressed an interest in seeing it. The maybes are because this is a draft of a potential itinerary open for suggestions, as is the reason I posted the questions. I am trying to allow the girls to be part of the process in deciding where to go and what to see also, and not make all the decisions for them, but wanting to be open to their interest and ideas.

I am sure they will appreciate reading your thoughtful and positive tone of comments.

Posted by
3811 posts

Hi, mom2co3. Welcome to the forum. I'm really excited that your daughters are going to have this adventure! It's going to be so wonderfully different from anything that they can do in the US that I think they will have a great time no matter what the plan.

If they are interested in seeing a castle, Burg Eltz is a good one. If they would like a short hike to get there, catch the train from Cochem to Moselkern, take the short walk through town to the Ringelsteiner Mühle, and then follow the nature path along the Eltzbach to the castle (perhaps 45-60 minutes total from train station to castle). For a relaxed lunch/dinner, consider taking the train a little further to Winningen and trying Klein's Fronhof, which has some nice healthier interpretations of German/European food and features local wines.

Posted by
850 posts

Well, maybe I'm contrary, but this is area I've lived and traveled over a lot of years. If you don't like Munich I'd go to Regensburg or Nuremberg. Both are nice towns and easy to walk around in a day or two. They also have a heck of a lot fewer tourists than Munich during the time you're going. If you go to Nuremberg you can go over to Bad Windsheim and do the Frankonia Open Air Museum, and then visit Schloss Virnsberg, a real castle that most tourists never even know about. Frankly I'd rather do that then go to Fussen.

Another other option I'd offer is go south from Stuttgart and visit Lake Constanz and maybe even Zurich or Lichtenstein. It's a nice drive into the Alps and that's a good time to go.

If you really want to see Germany that tourists don't, Take 29 out of Stuttgart to Nordlingen, then go up to Dinklesbuhl, then over to Crailsheim, and then to Schwabisch Hall. A day in each of those and you'd really see some of the best of that part of Germany. It's very pretty country.

Last, don't forget to take the girls to a Swimbad. Palm Beach in Nuremberg is a good one. I guarantee they (and you) will have an experience you'll remember. Google it.