Please sign in to post.

Ludwigsburg

I'm looking at a possible short (7-night) trip for this Oct-Nov. A few nights in either Frankfurt or Munich to start. I cant find any recent posts on Ludwigsburg (near Stuttgart) and would be interested on any suggestions for Ludwigsburg or environs. I have a family reason for going there, but unsure of time worthiness. Thanks.

Posted by
1549 posts

About fifteen years ago, a worthwhile day trip. Three baroque palaces and a decent downtown core, which can all be visited in a long day. The largest palace, Ludwigsburg, has a number of different gardens, and has the inflated moniker of the 'Versailles of Swabia.'

There is a popular pumpkin festival during your time there, though most events take place at weekends:

https://travel.ludwigsburg.de/start/events+_+festivals/ludwigsburg+pumpkin+festival.html

Never made it into Stuttgart but Tubingen is also a good day trip, if you have the time. The other way, Bad Wimpfen is a fabulous little place and can be combined with the salt mine at Bad Friedrichshall.

Posted by
450 posts

We went to the Baroque Christmas market there this year, and it was lovely. But also nearby is the little town of Bietigheim-Bissingen, and this I can fully recommend! It's a beautiful little town!

This is also wine country, so maybe take that into account.

Posted by
8440 posts

Thanks! Bietigheim is also of interest.

Posted by
556 posts

Sorry no info about Ludwigsburg but lots of good memories. When I was a kid I've spent quite a while in Pattonville (US Army housing) near Ludwigsburg with my relatives - aunt German and uncle American.