Please sign in to post.

Looking for suggestions for Winter break 2019-2020

Hello Happy Travelers! I am looking for some guidance as we plan our trip for next Holiday season. My son is going to be doing a semester abroad at TU Delft for Spring 2020. My hubby and I were planning to go over with him and help him settle in. I am thinking about a week in Germany for Christmas beginning Saturday 12/21 and then spend a few days in Delft for New Years from 12/28-1/2. Hubby and I will fly home from Amsterdam to Toronto (YYZ) on 1/3. Where would you suggest spending the week of Christmas in Germany. Would you base in one city and day trip? Maybe Munich or Nuremberg for the week? Or would you choose a smaller city that would be nice to stroll around when things are closed for the holidays like Rothenburg Ob Tauber or Regensberg? Or would you jump around a little bit? Maybe Munich, Nuremberg, Dresden? We would like to visit a couple Christmas markets, and we also love Medieval and Roman and WW2 history and we have a scrapbook that we are collecting all of the UNESCO sites we visit. We know that we will need to make reservations in advance for a Christmas Eve meal and a Christmas Day meal. I was leaning toward spending Christmas Eve and Day in Munich as there are several places that seem to offer a nice holiday meal with a reservation. We will take the train to Delft and will be getting him situated on campus but we hope to go to Rotterdam for New Years for the fireworks and the Lighted Holiday Walk in Maastricht on one of our evenings. I was thinking to rely on train transport for our day trips but I am not opposed to renting a car. We are from upstate NY so snow and weather are not a big concern for us. I am really hoping to use all of your expertise in choosing the places we stay. We have been to Europe many times but only in summer. Thanks in advance for any input and advice! Happy Travels!

Posted by
1582 posts

Base yourself in Munich and you can visit Rothenburg from there and add another day trip to Nuremberg for
the Christmas markets. You can also be based in Nuremberg too. While in Delft, take the opportunity to visit The Hague and Rotterdam.