Please sign in to post.

looking for recommendations on where to stay in Cologne and Munich at the end of May 2020

We are travelling from Vienna to Munich at the end of May 2020 before returning to Canada. We will be arriving in Munich by train. Thinking about renting a car and seeing some of the Rhineland and/or Moselle valley before ending up in Cologne for the one night.
We are looking for a place to stay in Munich for ~ 3 nights, and then for the last Saturday in May in Cologne. Our plan was to take a train from Cologne to Schipol (AMS) airport on the morning of the 31st for our afternoon flight home to YVR. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to stay? In both cities we are looking for someplace, quiet, clean, and safe with a private bath and close to somewhere we can get a substantial breakfast (ie scrambled eggs, fruit, cheese, etc).

Posted by
12040 posts

What's your budget? On the higher end, Hotel Bayerischer Hof is one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Europe. The breakfast here is fantastic. More budget friendly but in a great location near the Hofbrauhaus is Hotel an der Opera. This was clean and comfortable, if nothing too special.

One recommendation if you plan to rent a car... get it on the way out of Munich, or take the train to some place closer to the Rhine before getting the car. Munich is the worst city in Germany for driving.

You didn't mention if you plan to stay anywhere on the Rhine, but note that it will take you the better part of a day just to drive from Munich to Cologne, much, much longer if you take the scenic route along the Mittelrhein.

Posted by
7662 posts

Cologne has the wonderful Cathedral, there is more, but not much compared to what is in Bavaria.

Not sure about taking the train from Cologne to Amsterdam the day of your flight. What time does the train arrive in Amsterdam and what time does your flight leave?

Posted by
20 posts

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was house sitting for someone with limited wifi.

Thank you for the two Munich hotel suggestions. I will follow up on those.
We fly back with KLM at 15:20 on the 31st. Our plan is to arrive in Cologne on the Saturday morning, see the cathedral and possibly the Roman/German musuem.
Excluding 5 days spent in Berlin in 2014, this will be our first visit to Germany. We have previously spent time in Austria (including Salzburg) and Northern Italy so are fine with a more limited visit to Germany. Looking at the R.S. 2017 Germany book, I am wondering if we can see some of Bavaria, and the Rhine and/or Mosel valley after spending a few days in Munich. We would consider renting a car once we got outside of Munich, but are just as happy to travel by train. Some of the places we are looking at visiting are Rothenburg, and Triberg waterfall. Have not yet figured out the hine and/or Mosel valley section. We would then train or drive to Colonge. Any suggestions? Thank you all in advance.