Please sign in to post.

Long Term Stay

Would like to spend one month in a central location - Germany, Austria, France? Have friends/family all over Western Europe. Enjoy being with locals. Want access to trains & two bedrooms. If a car is a must, who offers monthly rentals at lowest price? Where would Rick recommend for a low cost location? Retirees on a limited budget, but active. Have followed Rick's advice for 27 years and he's never steered us wrong!

Posted by
2625 posts

If I was ever going to stay put for a month, it would be in Paris:). With some diligent searching, you could find accommodations to fit your budget.

Posted by
3958 posts

Have you considered a home exchange for a month? We've been doing mostly month long stays every summer since 1995. It sounds ideal for your desire to have a base in a single region. There are several online agencies but the one we've been using has been around since 1950s. The only cost is the small membership fee to list your home.

Posted by
868 posts

You can stay almost everywhere in Europe for a month without getting bored (you just need a good guide), and for a low cost location you just have to avoid touristic hotspots like Paris, London, Rome or Venice.

Posted by
3391 posts

I second Mona's suggestion of home exchange! We regularly do this all over the world and frequently end up in Europe. We've stayed for a month or more in Norway, Switzerland, Prague, London, Paris, and several others. This is the time of year that everyone starts looking for their summer house swap partners so it's a great time to see what you can find!
Although you don't have to, we also swap cars with our home exchange partners. Swapping both your house and your car saves you a BUNDLE of money...plus you get the unique experience of really living, albeit temporarily, in another culture. It's a wonderful experience.
We use homeexchange.com. I have a blog about home exchange if you're interested in learning more - homeexchangernet.blogspot.com.
It's a great way to travel!