Please sign in to post.

Lodging close to Frankfurt Airport

I have a layover on my way back to the US. I land in Frankfurt about 7pm and don't fly out again until 10am the next morning. What are my best lodging options either at the airport or very close by? I'll be by myself so don't want to venture too far in an unfamiliar area. My trip is in May of 2015, so I have a bit of time to plan. Suggestions are appreciated!

Posted by
8934 posts

It will be light until quite late in May, so go ahead and come into the city. It is only 11-15 min. away by train from the airport depending on which stop you get off at, and hotels will be a lot cheaper than staying at the 2 Hiltons or the Sheraton, which are the only 2 true "airport" hotels. All the rest of the hotels you will see advertised as airport hotels will need a shuttle bus, some of which aren't free, nor run very often. The trains into the city run every 15 min. and will cost about 4.50 € (waiting on new prices for 2015 to be published)

Hotel suggestions for Frankfurt, would be Hamburger Hof, Hotel Concorde, the Pure, Hotel Mirimar, Hotel Neue Krämer, Adina Apts. Ibis on the Friedensbruche, or for a bit pricier hotel, the Hilton, or Flemings City.

Posted by
6589 posts

As Jo says, it's very easy to get to and from FRA airport by train from Frankfurt. I recently stayed at a small pension about one block from the Frankfurt main station entrance. Direct trains travel from there to the "Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf" (the airport station that handles local trains, right in the airport terminal building) and take less than 15 minutes.

Posted by
8934 posts

If she lands at 19:00, it only takes about 30 min. or so to emerge into the main part of the airport. She could be in the city, checking into her hotel by 20:00-20:30. Sunset isn't even until 21:00, meaning it will still be light outside until at least 22:00. She could still go down to the Römer, or the Fressgasse, have a meal at an outdoor cafe and enjoy the atmosphere of a lively German city. There may even be a fest happening.

It takes almost as long to walk to the Hilton Garden Inn in the Squaire, as it does to get into Frankfurt by train. Why spend those few free hours at an airport, when you could actually visit a lovely city for an evening?

Posted by
19052 posts

Three times I've had early flights out of FRA. I've always stayed in Mainz. It takes a little longer on the S-Bahn than to Frankfurt, but there are several hotels right across the Bahnhofsplatz. The last time I stayed at Hotel Königshof, in Mainz, and found it to be quite enjoyable. I stayed in a nice room, and the breakfast buffet was great. In the morning, it's a short walk to catch the S-Bahn directly to the airport.

A single room for the night will cost you 68€ (about $85 today). Check the prices for the hotels around the airport for your date. When I Google them, the link says something about rates as low as $99, but when I input a date, the rate quoted is hundreds of euro. I think those overpriced hotels count on people not knowing their options (or businessmen on an expense account - not caring). Check the airport, but if you can't get a reasonable price there, consider Hotel Königshof.