Please sign in to post.

Layover in Frankfurt

I have a nearly 5 hour layover in Frankfurt in May en route to Poland. I have 2 questions:

• I assume that I'll have to provide a negative COVID test upon landing from the USA, is this correct?

• Can I leave the airport and explore the city for a couple of hours before my connection?

TIA for any advice.

Posted by
3832 posts

The German Missions in the US (Germany Embassy and Consulates) website has the rules for US citizens entering Germany and for transit via Germany:

https://www.germany.info/us-en/covid-19/2321562

If you are not a US citizen, you can look here and here.

I'll let Frankfurt resident Ms Jo answer if a 5-hour layover is long enough to explore the city for a couple of hours before your connection.

Posted by
3832 posts

I will point out that if you are not vaccinated, you must present a negative test prior to departure to Germany. If you are vaccinated, you just need proof of vaccination. One other caveat for Germany... a single dose of the Janssen vaccine is not adequate for entry -- you must have 2 doses.

Posted by
8938 posts

A 5 hour layover is a bit short for a city visit, but you can give it a try if you like. Takes about 45 min. to deplane and emerge into the public area. Is your flight landing in terminal 1 or 2?
Store your carry on at the luggage storage, 5 € for under 3 hours.
Go to the Regional train station located under terminal 1, Arrivals B-1. Get an all day ticket from the turquoise RMV machines. Ride the S-8 or S-9 to the Hauptwache, which is the 6th stop. The Römer, the Alt Stadt, the Kaiserdom, the Klein Markt Halle, and the river are all about a 5 min. walk from here. Just ask people, they will point you in the right direction, or just walk south.
The trains run every 15 min. and the ride will take about 13 min. Make sure you give yourself enough time to get back, pick up your carry-on and go back through security. 1.5 hours should be sufficient, but give yourself 2, to be sure.
You basically have about 1 hour to explore the city. If you want to taxi instead, it will cost you about 35-40 each way. If you landed at terminal 2, add in even more time.

Alternative is to go to the Squaire and have a nice meal at Paulaner, or take the bus out to the Berlin Airlift Memorial, which is next to the airport. You could also take a bus to Frankfurt Höchst, but this bus takes about 30 min. each way.