Please sign in to post.

KD Rhine 2024 Timetable is out -confused about timing of stops.

KD Rhine Timetable is out for 2024!
https://www.k-d.com/fileadmin/KD_Fahrplaene/KD_Fahrplan_intern_2024_web.pdf

We will be traveling in early May, on a Sunday, planning to start in Bingen at 9:15 AM and work our way to Boppard, our home base. I realize we will have to get off the boat for a short time in either St Goar or St Goarshausen to continue on to Boppard, but I'm not understanding why the arrival time in St. Goar says 10:55 and the arrival time in St Goarshausen is before that at 10:45? This doesn't seem to make sense - does the boat turn around and go across the river? That seems unlikely. I see that the St Goar stop does not appear on prior year's time tables, it looked like it just passed through and didn't stop. But this year it does include St. Goar- but with an odd out of sequence time.

Now, I'm wondering if maybe you are expected to take the ferry across from St Goarshausen to St Goar??
Or maybe this is just a misprint? (I notice when looking at the time table for the other direction it has the same times as I mentioned above (which makes more sense going upstream)
or am I completely reading the timetable incorrectly?!?! :)

Thanks for any insight!! and Happy travels everyone!!

Posted by
20259 posts

Obviously (or maybe not so obviously) the boat docks at St Goarshausen first, then turns and crosses the river to St Goar. So you will have to option of changing at St Goarshausen with 55 minutes connection time, or at St Goar with 35 minutes connection time.

If you look at the reverse direction, it shows that this boat is just a continuation of the boat you arrived on. So it starts at St Goarshausen at 10:45, stops at St Goar at 10:55, Oberwesel at 11:25 etc.

Posted by
5 posts

oh wow- so it actually does cross the river!! I don't why this seemed so strange to me!? Thank you for confirming!!

Posted by
6664 posts

Some among us (myself included) look at the 2nd boat trip as unnecessary time - and expense (an additional €11-12each?) The really super part of the river lies between Bingen and St. Goar. If you take the train for St. Goar > Boppard instead (the station is very close to the KD dock and the town center of St. Goar) it's roughly 10 minutes and €5. That said, I might spend the € saved having some refreshments in St. Goar before hopping on the train. The views from St. Goar across the river are quite nice.

Posted by
20259 posts

When you think about, it makes sense. If they are planning on turning the boat around for the return trip at St Goarshausen, why stop at St Goar twice in a 20 minute span. German efficiency.

Posted by
5 posts

Oh my goodness——they are just turning the boat around?!
Golly I never even thought of that!! It was so obvious!!!!….
See I knew someone here could help me. Thank you!!!
Also good advice on just taking the train back to Boppard. I’ll consider that, as well!

Thanks!!

Posted by
88 posts

thanks for the link
I will also be doing this trip- staying in Boppard, assuming we don't want to take the boat all the way back to Boppard- it makes sense to get off at St Goar - right? (same side of river).

What are you thoughts of taking the 1430 or the 1630 boat (which is the paddle wheel) - didn't know if it really matter as both are well before sunset.

Posted by
6664 posts

The Goethe Paddlewheel boat at 16:30 is the one boat of the day which travels straight through to Boppard, for those who wish to cruise that final part from St. Goar > Boppard.

But with this boat you of course could buy a ticket just to St. Goar - and get off there to board the train to Boppard.