Please sign in to post.

Kassel, Germany

Planning a trip to Germany and interested in any feedback or Kassel, Germany.
Many Thanks!
Marlene

Posted by
7327 posts

There is a very, very important biannual modern art festival there, which uses some historic buildings. I hope to go some time in the future. I'm sure hotels are hard to book then.

Posted by
14539 posts

Hi,

When is this trip taking place? I've been to Kassel twice, in 1987 and 2007, saw in 2007 part of the Dokumenta which is the non-paying part, never stayed in Kassel, so I cannot advise on hotels. The main sight is the Schloss at Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe, that's interesting and historical. I liked that. Are you going for the Dokumenta in 2017? In that area I would suggest the city of Göttingen over Kassel.

Posted by
1976 posts

The Documenta in Kassel is a huge contemporary-art exhibition that takes place every five years. I was there in 2007 to see it. If you're going to Kassel in 2017, and you're interested in the exhibition, check the dates. The exhibition is held outside and also inside some buildings near the Schloss Wilhelmshöhe.

The Schloss is really cool. It was built in the 18th century and its vast grounds make up a park that was created at the same time that the castle was built. The hill that the castle is built on is impressive as well. You can climb all the way to the top where there is a Hercules statue.

The great Wilhelmshöher Allee was built by Wilhelm to demonstrate his power. It is 3 miles long (5 km) and runs from the Schloss all the way down the hill, and from one end of Kassel to the other.