Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Suggestions - July 2016

My husband, son and I will be flying to Germany arriving TXL on July 22. We would like to tour Berlin and then head south. We need to be in Salzburg the morning of July 28 to pick up our daughter from summer school. While in school she will have been to Burghausen & Neuschwanstein, Munich, Vienna Salzburg, Bad Fussing Hot Springs ad Bad Ischl/Hallstatt so the three of us would like to see some of these things prior to picking her up. After picking her up we would like to travel along the Romantic Road as our flight home leaves Frankfurt on July 31. I would LOVE suggestions:

1) Plane or train from Berlin to Munich or Salzburg?
2)Itinerary before and after picking up my daughter
3) Rental car or train from Salzburg to Frankfurt?

I have been to Germany but it was many years ago and my husband and son have never been! I'm hoping to make a fun and stress free time for them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Posted by
2454 posts

I wonder - might your daughter enjoy showing you at least some of the places she's already been?

Posted by
6653 posts

Before Salzburg: Spend a few days in Franconia in Northern Bavaria - Wuerzburg, Bamberg, Nuremberg, Bad Windsheim, Marktbreit, and Iphofen offer a nice mix of old-world cities and towns and are all excellent options.

In Salzburg: None of you will have been to the alpine town of Berchtesgaden and the Koenigssee, to Hohenwerfen Castle near Werfen, or to the ice-cave and salt mine attractions nearby. Research these options for your time there.

After leaving Salzburg: Munich highlights? On the way to Munich stop in Prien for Herrenchiemsee Palace, on an island in Lake Chiemsee, within a stone's throw of the Alps.

On the way to FRA: You can easily visit some of the southern Romantic Road towns by train or by car - Augsburg, Landsberg, Noerdlingen, Harburg, Fuessen are all train-accessible. The romantic Road north of there has some nice towns too. That said, if you've seen the southern RR towns, Bamberg, Marktbreit, Iphofen, and Bad Windsheim already, you may find that you don't have a lot of time left, and that following the RR north of Noerdlingen seems repetitive, and that the RR itself isn't especially spectacular. It may be easiest to just catch the train from Augsburg to FRA as you'll already have seen a ton.

Posted by
27 posts

Thanks so much Russ! Can you suggest a hotel in both Munich and Salzburg?

Posted by
65 posts

family of 4 stayed at Weisse Taube in Salzburg last June. It is centrally located and very clean and reasonable. The breakfast was perfect before setting out for the day. have fun
Erin