Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Review?

Hi all, My husband and I are planning a 3 week trip to Germany this September with a stop in Liege to visit the cemetery there. We are planning on getting out of Munich before Oktoberfest begins as we are not really drinkers nor love crowds. We realize it's a bit of a whirlwind, looking for feedback!

1. Arrive in Munich
  2. Munich
  3. Munich...BMW/Olympic Park
  4. Drive to Dachau, then to Schwangau
  5. Ludwig Castles; Drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen
  6. Zugspitze; Stay in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
  7. Drive to Rothenberg OBT
  8. Rothenberg OBT
  9. Drive to Nürnberg
  10. Nürnberg
  11. Drive to Dresden; Drop off car
  12. Train to Berlin
  13. Berlin
  14. Berlin
  15. Berlin
  16. Fly to Cologne; Drive to Liege
  17. Liege
  18. Drive to Burg Eltz; Stay in Cochem
  19. Drive to St. Goar; Drop off car; Rhine cruise to Bacharach; Stay in Bacharach
  20. Bacharach; Train to Frankfurt
  21. Fly Home
Posted by
12040 posts

Give yourself more time in Garmisch-Partenkirchen if ascending Zugspitze is a priority. The weather may not cooperate and having more days can give you a hedge against bad conditions. You can easily visit Neuschwanstein from Garmisch-Partenkirchen by car. Don't plan in advanced which day to do which activity, just use the first one with good weather for Zugspitze.

Unless you have a compelling reason to visit Liege, I wouldn't bother. It's a rather unattractive post-industrial city.

Posted by
15 posts

That's great feedback! I'll plan to stay 3 nights in G-P and pick the best day for Zugspitze. My husbands grandfather is buried in the WW2 cemetery near Liege, so going for a reason :) Thanks again!